Does chlorine reduce the effectiveness of metallic algaecides?

Copper and silver should be just as effective regardless of the chlorine level. Metals can't be broken down by chlorine.

The reason I ask is an acquaintance of mine in the industry adds a combination of things for algae treatment. In some cases, he shocks and adds Silver Algaedyn. I wondered if the higher chlorine levels weakened the Silver Algaedyn.

Copper is more effective than silver against algae, but both can stain pool surfaces. Usually silver is used in conjunction with copper to be able to handle a broader range of bacteria, specifically fecal bacteria that copper does not handle. If one is using metal ions only for algae control, then copper alone is usually sufficient for that (again with the risk of staining plaster surfaces).

He probably shocks because the silver isn't effective enough against algae. If he were using copper instead he might not need to shock -- at least not for algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.