New Pool Install - How much do I have to worry about the test results during filling?

gwc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2014
Thomson GA
I have about 18" of city water in the pool. I have the following results
FC = 1
CC = 0
CH = 50
TA = 20
CYA = 0
no salt has been added yet.
According to the PoolMath I need to add 41oz of bleach to get to a 5 FC.
Do I need to test and add bleach a couple of times daily as the pool fills?
Do I need to worry about it during the fill time.
I know if the grandkids see the water they will be in it even thought they will be blue and covered in chill bumps, so I want the water to be safe. I think it will be full in two more days.
Your guidance will be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention Oak tree tassels are falling into the pool.

There is no need to do anything until the pool is full and the pump is running (assuming you are on town water, which will already contain chlorine).

On a newly filled startup, you want to add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset until 24 hours after you add CYA. At that point switch to using the target FC level based on your CYA level.

You will also want to raise TA into the 70-90 range, and CYA into the 30-50 range (as a first step, and then raise CYA some more after a week).

Manually skimming debris out of the pool while it fills is a good idea, once or twice a day is plenty.

Have you gotten yourself a good test kit yet? Not one of those wimpy inaccurate strip tests but a real one for real pool care? I like my TF-100 (link in siggy) because it contains the most reagents for testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.