Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Install - How much do I have to worry about the test results during filling?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Install - How much do I have to worry about the test results during filling?

I have about 18" of city water in the pool. I have the following results
    FC = 1
    CC = 0
    CH = 50
    TA = 20
    CYA = 0
    no salt has been added yet.
    According to the PoolMath I need to add 41oz of bleach to get to a 5 FC.
    Do I need to test and add bleach a couple of times daily as the pool fills?
    Do I need to worry about it during the fill time.
    I know if the grandkids see the water they will be in it even thought they will be blue and covered in chill bumps, so I want the water to be safe. I think it will be full in two more days.
    Your guidance will be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention Oak tree tassels are falling into the pool.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Install - How much do I have to worry about the test results during fill

There is no need to do anything until the pool is full and the pump is running (assuming you are on town water, which will already contain chlorine).

On a newly filled startup, you want to add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset until 24 hours after you add CYA. At that point switch to using the target FC level based on your CYA level.

You will also want to raise TA into the 70-90 range, and CYA into the 30-50 range (as a first step, and then raise CYA some more after a week).

Manually skimming debris out of the pool while it fills is a good idea, once or twice a day is plenty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Install - How much do I have to worry about the test results during fill

Thanks JasonLion.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you gotten yourself a good test kit yet? Not one of those wimpy inaccurate strip tests but a real one for real pool care? I like my TF-100 (link in siggy) because it contains the most reagents for testing.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the TF-100 with stirrer.
    Gerry

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh good! I wouldn't have thunk that stirrer would be so useful but dang it makes testing so fast and easy, doesn't it?
    You're on the right track here. Pics?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

The stirrer is very helpful. I was amazed at how many of the tests I messed up being this was my first time using the TF-100. But all is good.
    Gerry