Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to loosen the eye to move on return.

1. Back To Top    #1

How to loosen the eye to move on return.

I took the eye out and put a cap on the return over winter. Now I have the eye out to put back on and it won't budge. I need ideas how to get it moving again. At the moment I just put it in a bowl of vinegar to soak. Anyone have a trick???

And thank you to everyone on this site. I just took the winter cover off the pool and it is crystal clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I found this site!!!!!
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to loosen the eye to move on return.

Typical eye style return fittings are made of three pieces: a short piece of threaded pipe, usually with a rim on the "outside" end, the eyeball it's self, and a larger ring that holds the eyeball against the pipe. If you loosen the large ring the eyeball will move more easily. Once the whole thing is apart, I often use plumbers lube on the eyeball to make it easier to move around when installed. A strap wrench is a good thing to try and grab the short piece of pipe when trying to loosen the fitting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On most Hayward style eyeball fittings there are a pair of grooves inside the short piece of pipe. These are for the "special tool" Hayward sells, to get the pipe tight in the wall fitting, before installing the eyeball to it. Then it's just a matter of slightly loosening the ring, and adjusting where you want the flow going.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Slip joint pliers are your friend. Be gentle!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

So this is 3 pieces?
    Attachment 28349
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wish I would have known that before. I have it on so tight from screwing it in the side of the pool that I can't get it loose. I may have to order a tool for that. I don't have a strap wrench and don't want to mess up the threads.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have a piece of wood or plexiglass that can be thinned down to fit the grooves, you can make a temporary tool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just took two old serving spoons together to make it thicker for a tool and I got it apart. Right after I ordered a new eyeball and tool off Amazon. LOL Oh well.

10. Back To Top    #10

At least now you will have the tool for next time!