Drip. Drip. Drip. - Help? Encouragement? Advice? Insults?

Did you use the tape and the sealant or just the tape? And which tape? I have some we bought for a shower head little blue spool white tape.

A lot of people here seem to recommend against the tape on anything 1.5 inch or larger and use sealant instead.

I don't know if anyone is going to see this question in this thread but...I have a new "side effect".

I have noticed over the past couple of days that my pressure has been rising after it's pumping for a while. It used to take quite a bit for the pressure to rise and need a backwash unless I was actually vacuuming.

My water is clear and I got most of that storm debris out with my leaf rake and my pool blaster vac. Vacuumed with the pool blaster yesterday and it did stir some stuff up, I could see things floating by in my whirlpool.

My original clean pressure was 10. I would backwash at 12.

After I replaced the intake yesterday the pressure was 12. I hooked up the skimmer just for a minute and that made the pressure 11.

Right now after it's been running all night (It's always running) the pressure is up to almost 20 and I can tell the flow is reduced.

Is it really just pumping/filtering sooo much better now that it found something to clean out of the water that would raise the pressure that much? I know there was stuff floating around in there but it didn't seem like *that* much.

What is going on? Is there some other reason that the pressure would gradually go up other than a dirty filter?

The pressure gauge is new. I put it in a few weeks ago.

I guess I will have to backwash it to get the pressure back down.

I just used the teflon tape, yes the white tape on the blue spool. I did at least 3 or 4 turns around the threads to ensure a good seal

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if anyone is going to see this question in this thread but...I have a new "side effect".

I have noticed over the past couple of days that my pressure has been rising after it's pumping for a while. It used to take quite a bit for the pressure to rise and need a backwash unless I was actually vacuuming.

My water is clear and I got most of that storm debris out with my leaf rake and my pool blaster vac. Vacuumed with the pool blaster yesterday and it did stir some stuff up, I could see things floating by in my whirlpool.

My original clean pressure was 10. I would backwash at 12.

After I replaced the intake yesterday the pressure was 12. I hooked up the skimmer just for a minute and that made the pressure 11.

Right now after it's been running all night (It's always running) the pressure is up to almost 20 and I can tell the flow is reduced.

Is it really just pumping/filtering sooo much better now that it found something to clean out of the water that would raise the pressure that much? I know there was stuff floating around in there but it didn't seem like *that* much.

What is going on? Is there some other reason that the pressure would gradually go up other than a dirty filter?

The pressure gauge is new. I put it in a few weeks ago.

I guess I will have to backwash it to get the pressure back down.

it could be with all the **** we had with the rain and your bradford's, it could have just gotten dirty. I know my Hayward is still chugging along at 14 psig the same as when I installed :)

I was thinking about doing NOTHING outside today since its freezing. I am so annoyed at this weather. All 4 days I'm off are going to be yuck. I might just wait until next weekend to do anything else.

I will have to do the backwash though. I don't want to hurt anything and it doesn't seem good to let it pump at a higher pressure like that. I might go ahead and do the stupid yard work today since it's going to rain tomorrow. I'll have to bundle up and drag that backwash hose out again.

Since your pool is similar in size I'll ask you, when you backwash your filter how long do you usually let it go? I used to do 2 minutes but it never has any sign of dirty water in the sight glass after about 30 seconds so I've kinda shortened to about a minute and a half and then 30 seconds of rinse.

How about you?

*edit*

Thank you for responding by the way!

well I have the large sand filter from Hayward, my pressure hasn't really gone up since I have collected all the 'junk' it is a 300# filter so it will take some time. But when I do backwash, it would be for like 2-3 minutes tops. you might try the rinse gig with your filter,

Well it's back to 11psi after the backwash.

I just wanted to pop in here for a little silly post.. I'm on my way to Leslie's to exchange my eyeball fitting for a plug and I got a kick out of the words on the Leslie's bag from the other day..

"Do-It-Yourself, and save!"

heh I'm not sure they actually want people to take that advice!

Hey Beens... I used the Teflon tape (white tape on blue roll; mine is a red roll) I went around 6 times just to get it good and I have no leaks. When I did less last year, I had leaks.

It's time for an update. Another weekend has arrived for me. Loving my new schedule!

The strap wrench worked! I was able to get the leaking hose fitting loosened and removed. I just reapplied the sealant and did it much thicker than the first time.

The intake that I replaced last week or whenever is not leaking so I tried to use the same amount of sealant on the return.

I was afraid to stay out there and watch for slow leaks, so I came in to update the thread. I'm going to sit here for a few minutes then go out and check.

I gave myself a headache with the stress/worrying while I was out there methodically removing and replacing it. I am praying now (literally praying!) that when I go back out there I won't find any drips forming.

If I am successful, I have 2 more things I'm afraid will change flow/cause leaking...attaching the skimmer hose, and someday throwing the vacuum hose in and attaching that. Each one of those will give me a worry headache! lol

I'd cross my fingers and toes if I believed in that sort of thing...hopefully a happy update is coming very soon after this one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well folks, it seems to be fixed!

I see no signs of drips!

I haven't tested with any extra stuff like hooking up the skimmer because when I went to stick the skimmer hose in the inlet I noticed the hose was cracked. I guess I'll go get another one from lowes. Definitely not top of the line. It's just one of the 3' hoses they sell in the lowes pool section. I ought to hard plumb the skimmer! That would actually be easy because it's all underwater so who cares if it has a tiny leak? I wonder if anyone has tried that...

On another note...I am going to get a pool ladder from a guy on craigslist! Calling this afternoon to arrange to look at and purchase it.
I'm pretty sure it's this ladder http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Premiu...F8&qid=1398365943&sr=1-3&keywords=confer+7000 and he said he'd take $85 for it!

I was going to settle for the deluxe intex ladder because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a ladder when I know eventually I won't even have this pool anymore...

I can't believe that leak is fixed!!

good job on fixing the leak.

Well folks, it seems to be fixed!

I see no signs of drips!

I haven't tested with any extra stuff like hooking up the skimmer because when I went to stick the skimmer hose in the inlet I noticed the hose was cracked. I guess I'll go get another one from lowes. Definitely not top of the line. It's just one of the 3' hoses they sell in the lowes pool section. I ought to hard plumb the skimmer! That would actually be easy because it's all underwater so who cares if it has a tiny leak? I wonder if anyone has tried that...

On another note...I am going to get a pool ladder from a guy on craigslist! Calling this afternoon to arrange to look at and purchase it.
I'm pretty sure it's this ladder http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Premiu...F8&qid=1398365943&sr=1-3&keywords=confer+7000 and he said he'd take $85 for it!

I was going to settle for the deluxe intex ladder because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a ladder when I know eventually I won't even have this pool anymore...

I can't believe that leak is fixed!!

Thanks everyone!

Charlie, I'm not sure what's next. Who knows what I'll do if it doesn't warm up enough to swim soon! lol

This is what I get for starting so early...

I bought a ladder from someone on craigslist last night! It looks pretty nice. Maybe a little older than I thought. I think it's the confer brand, but the weird part is it says "model 7000" on it in a few places but no brand. It's not the newer confer 7000 because it doesn't have the safety piece that goes inside the pool to keep kids from getting behind the ladder. No kids here so that doesn't matter to me.

I'm going to scrub it down today because it has some dirt on it and I'll post a pic when it's all clean and shiny! I could have probably gotten it for less but that's ok. I was going to pay $70 for the deluxe intex ladder and this is much nicer.

I also bought a replacement hose for the skimmer so I'm gonna go out and hook that up in a few minutes. That's another slight change in flow so I guess it's another test of yesterday's leak repair.

I'll post a ladder pic a little later.

Nice ladder! Much nicer than my first ladder before we built the deck!

So, I guess you are going to start installing skimmers full time now that you are an expert? LOL

Nice ladder Beens. Hope you find enjoyment out of your leak free pool this summer! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.