Drip. Drip. Drip. - Help? Encouragement? Advice? Insults?

I'm at it again! (Not so) professional gasket making!

Outer ring is Intex sized gasket, inner ring is hayward inner gasket dimention. Then of course I cut it big because better too big than too small! I already learned that! They're not as big as the last 2 though. :)

My (not so) professional gasket making operation. You can see the Intex gasket (left) and the hayward gasket (right) in comparison.

There. I made a new, neater plug. LOL This is me procrastinating. I don't want to be cold....

Oh yeah, here's my strap wrenches...

Omg. Taking a mental health break. The intake did not go as smoothly as the return. I used the bag and rubber band again because it worked the last time. That must have been dumb luck because this time to put it simply, it did not. Huge stream of water gushing OUT . DONT PANIC!

Remember I'm doing this alone. No choice but to try to rig the bag again. Must continue! Can't go back!

What a dummy.

Anyway, got the new intake on complete with ghetto gaskets. I dried everything off and I'm taking a break while I wait to make sure it's not leaking before moving on.

Questioning my sanity. ..

HELP!!!!

WHAT THE HECK?!?!

I replaced the inlet. Scared to death to turn the pump back on. Check everything, everything is open. Ready to plug in pump.

So let's ignore any other leaks at this point....

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS???? Nothing on the filter leaked before!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can't even run the pump. That is not a drip drip drip, it is a steady flow.

???????????????????????????????????????

That is the sand filter. The leak is coming right from where it is pictured. I guess that's the part you'd take off to get to the sand if you wanted to do a deep cleaning. NO idea what is involved with that connection. It never leaked before.

*edit*

Ok, it has 2 screws/nuts in it. One on either side. I figured I'd just check if they were tight. I tightened them. I was able to move one of them quite a bit. It was loose. I tightened the other one a bit also.

Plugged it back in and it doesn't seem to be leaking from there now. I was going to clean the filter this year. I guess I'd have to take that off to do it anyway? Why does everything have to leak every I touch something?

I still have to hook up the skimmer and see what happens. I'm afraid to do that now!

I'm stopping for today. There's only so much self-induced trauma I can take in a day.

Current Status:

Tightening screws on filter stopped that random leak.

New inlet fitting/hose adapter/hose clamp does not seem to leak. On the inside I don't have anything attached to it.

New return fitting/hose adapter/hose clamp still leaking from hose adapter threads. I haven't tried the strap wrench etc. yet so it is the same as it was the other day.

I tried putting the hose that connects to the skimmer in the inlet just to see what problems that might cause. I don't think it caused any problem on the intake side but it made the return threaded hose adapter leak drip more so I can't leave it hooked up. (Doesn't matter right now because I have the leaf net on the pool so I can't skim anyway)

The pump's clean pressure seems to be 12 now. It used to run at 10. When I put the skimmer hose in the inlet it went to 11.

Maybe tomorrow I can try to do the return thing and get that connection not to leak. I don't really believe it's possible though. I feel like everything is going to leak in the end no matter what I do and it's just a matter of how much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw where you mentioned in another member's thread that you may have cut the holes too large? That may be the problem with the fitting you see leaking at the threads. One thing you might try is to patch that opening and cut it again a little smaller, then install the gaskets and fitting.

I won't glue anything threaded...I originally planned some pvc but then I realized I could just put the hose adapters right into the fittings and not worry about any more pieces/joints/glue/etc

- - - Updated - - -

I saw where you mentioned in another member's thread that you may have cut the holes too large? That may be the problem with the fitting you see leaking at the threads. One thing you might try is to patch that opening and cut it again a little smaller, then install the gaskets and fitting.

I didn't cut the holes, I used the holes that were already there from the intex fittings which are slightly larger. That leaking issue was fixed with the larger gaskets that I made. The threads that are leaking now are the threads where I have screwed another piece into the fitting. I haven't taken the first one (return) apart to put more sealant on it. I think I didn't use enough.

The one I did today (Intake) doesn't seem to leak and I used a lot more sealant on that one.

Hopefully more sealant is the answer for the original leak...I may find out tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

Beens, I feel your pain! I have been thoroughly beat up by my own pool and leaks the last few days! I literally can not lift my right arm over my head because I've been putting on a new skimmer box and taking it off at least 6 times all while bent over the edge of my 54" pool wall while standing on a chair!!! Just glad it's over... Take your time and you will get it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.