Drip. Drip. Drip. - Help? Encouragement? Advice? Insults?

I guess I'm just going to return everything I haven't used and accept that this piece will always leak. I will not be able to use the eyeball which was the whole reason I did all this in the first place and I won't take apart anything from the intake side because at least the intex plunger doesn't leak.

I am chalking this up to fail. Without hiring a plumber I can't do this. I already spent all day yesterday on it and only accomplished replacing the return fitting which I can't even fully use (no eyeball).

No point.

Thanks for the help to this point but without knowing how to fix a threading leak or a hose clamp leak I give up.

it's pathetic but I can't make myself give up. I really want it to work. I get depressed and frustrated and cry, then I'm back out there at it again.

I sawed the piece off the stupid nipple. I don't need it to get that small. I now have a threaded nipple that doesn't step down from 1.5 to 1.25. Didn't need it and I figured it was causing more restriction. Why have a tiny hole when the whole point was to get more flow? I made a lovey piece and brought it outside with the thread sealant all ready to apply it and replace the hose fitting.

Well guess what? Although the hose fitting which is currently screwed into the return fitting still leaks when more pressure is applied, (if I screw in the eyeball) it is tightened to a point where I can't remove it.

Talk about having to give up. When I try to loosen the hose fitting the whole return fitting moves. It loosens the male return threads from the nut on the outside or even spins the whole fitting around. I can't get the hose fitting that is screwed into the return fitting to break free.

So how can I fix the leak if I can't even get it off to add more sealant? I suppose I could take THE ENTIRE FITTING back off of the pool and have a gaping hole in the side of the pool with water pouring out.

Really, should it be this hard? I feel like a complete idiot here. Obviously I don't know my own strength because I guess I tightened it too much.

What a ridiculous situation.

*edit*

oh yeah, I said to heck with it and sawed the piece while it was still attached to the pool since I couldn't get it off to replace with the piece I had already sawed. Reattached hose and clamped the heck out of both hose clamps and it just may have solved the hose to fitting drip. (yay?) What good does it do if the threads still leak and I can't get them apart??

You can make a strap wrench out of heavy material, or a strip of rubber. Google strap wrench, for what that is.

Once you have one in hand, wrap the strap portion around the pool wall fitting in the tighten direction, then use you pliers or wrench to loosen the hose adapter from the pool wall fitting.

Man this has been some project. Any updates?
I stopped updating cause I felt lonely.

Charlie & pwr, I bought strap wrenches (a 2 pack was what they had in lowes) on Sunday. Was dark by the time I came home so I have to wait til Thursday. I work today and tomorrow.

The update would be....I now have an amazing crazy whirlpool because instead of the eyeball I (with help from elsewhere) thought of screwing one of my threaded elbows into the return.

Much better than the eyeball. It's not restricting the flow like the eyeball did so I'm able to use it and only have a slow drip. Hopefully I'm going to fix that Thursday.

You have the will Beens! You'll find a way! You avatar looks good! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Look what the storm last night did to my pool! Ugh. I got as much as I could out before work today and put the leaf net back on because it's still windy.
UGH.

20140416_104703.jpg

I realize I'm late to this party but I have an idea. I removed my standard return and reinstalled the intex one. The intex return leaked. So I checked my instructions for the pump/hoses/fittings and as they said to, I put the intex gasket on the "inside" of the pool. No other gasket involved. The leak stopped.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Walmart has Rubber Wrenches for about $5 each. The handle is red plastic so won't rust.

Get two rubber wrenches, one for inside the pool and one for the outside piece. Leverage. Good luck! I've had the same thing happen, the eyeball piece wouldn't unscrew. The rubber wrenches were the solution for mine.

One more thought, if a hose won't quite slip onto a fitting, break out the blow dryer. Put the hose on as far as you can, blow hot air on the hose , it will soften /expand and will slide onto the fitting easier. Tighten the hose clamp down and Bob's yer uncle!

**please be careful with electricity around the pool.

***i reinstalled the intex fitting because I wasn't happy with how the Hydrotools return had to be jury rigged in order to fill the too large hole in the pool. I put the intex fitting back in and hard plumbed with PVC. So happy I did.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Now I don't feel so lonely! It's the weekend for me again. I have a new wonderful 3 day work week and I'm off every Thurs-Sun. It's insane and I love it!

Casey:
Yes, it was disgusting. When I first looked out I thought everything was just floating but no, there was a whole bunch that sunk too. I was kicking myself for not putting my leaf net back on before the storm. I thought of it too late and ran out of time before work Tuesday.

Metallica:
It's just one tree causing all that mess!! It's the bane of my pool existence. It is a Bradford Pear tree which manages to throw some sort of something in my pool year round! Spring is little outer shell pieces from the blooms as they open followed by pieces of blooms and full blooms and their little pieces that made the pool look like it had poppy seeds floating all over it. Then in the summer it will drop the little "pear" ball things which go right to the bottom of the pool like marbles and are a pain in the neck to scoop out. Then in fall and over almost the entire winter, dead leaves. Not to mention shading the pool in the late afternoon.

It is right behind my fence but I'm pretty sure it's either halfway on my side of the property line or possibly even all mine. I've already hacked the heck out of "my side" of the tree but it's huge and I am dying to cut it down. This year I might rent the metal detector again to find the property stakes and find out once and for all. The other option is just going to the other house and seeing if the people there care if I cut it down. They don't seem to care much about their house much less there "landscaping!" I'm worried it may be a rental now though...

Taterfink:
I got the strap wrenches from Lowes and 2 came in the package. Lowes is about a minute from my house so I just ran over there when I saw online that they had them. I haven't tried yet because I was working. Today is the day although the weather is blech. Too cold. Hopefully they will work to get everything apart so I can fix my thread leak.

My issue with the fitting itself leaking was due to the hole size vs. gasket size. My home made ghetto too big gaskets completely fixed that problem though. I did notice that my original Intex fitting had just one gasket and it was on the inside. The Hayward came with one for inside and one for outside, they were just too small for my hole. More precisely, they were only about 1/8" bigger than the hole and it wasn't enough wiggle room to keep it from leaking. I just couldn't get it perfect enough with those gaskets. For the intake I will make my ghetto gaskets smaller so there isn't as much showing around the fitting, not that I really mind.

I'm actually looking forward to messing with it again. I guess 3 days off has made me forget how frustrated I was last week! lol I have to be able to make it stop leaking from the threads because everyone else has and if someone else can do it, I can too!!

Beens:
You can do it, yes there is some frustration, but in the end it will all be worth it. Now for it to warm up again. With all the rain this week I have to dump water out of my pool It is at the top of my new skimmer and it is ineffective for getting all the c r a p off the surface. got to love springtime in Tidewater

The Demon Tree!!

Yeah. I'm sitting here all comfy in my fleece pjs with the heat on trying to motivate myself to bundle up and go out there. It wouldn't be so bad it if wasn't for the 20mph north winds. I just stepped out on the patio for a minute and pulled up some weeds and looked over at my small pond. Good thing my pool doesn't look like that! All green and algaefied. lol

I've decided to try the strap wrench just to verify it's going to work. Then, before I fix the current leak situation I'm actually going to replace the intake side because I got to thinking that my water flow will change again with that and I don't want to fix a leak return side only to have it come back when I increase the pressure or flow or whatever might change when I get rid of the second plunger.

So, I gotta make 2 more ghetto gaskets real quick like and I might have to run to leslies to get a second plug, or I could always use the little rubber disc thing I made lol it's probably good enough for quick changes. OOOh, I could stick a piece of plastic wrap on, then wedge that disc in there and it would be perfect lol

Beens:
You can do it, yes there is some frustration, but in the end it will all be worth it. Now for it to warm up again. With all the rain this week I have to dump water out of my pool It is at the top of my new skimmer and it is ineffective for getting all the c r a p off the surface. got to love springtime in Tidewater

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.