Drip. Drip. Drip. - Help? Encouragement? Advice? Insults?

I'm making gaskets. Does it really if the outer diameter is "too big"? The gasket will be same inner diameter as hayward fitting and the outer diameter will be approx. 1/2 inch larger than the diameter of the fitting. And it will be ugly. :(

That will probably work. Get it as centered as you can, so the flanges of the fitting and nut cover as much of the original hole as they can.

Please don't use pipe dope on the outside threads on that fitting, it won't help, and will make a bit of a mess should you ever have to take that fitting off.

I THINK IT MAY HAVE WORKED!! #(#$(*&##(*%*&@ :party:

First I made this out of my other fitting so I could pop it in for a minute while I switched to my new mega-ghetto gasket on the inside.
I used a piece of the rubber I cut for the center of mega-ghetto gasket, cut it down just a little more and used it to plug the inside of my second fitting.

This time I used the silicone pool o-ring sealant stuff on both gaskets. I pulled out the fitting I needed to fix and put in the ghetto-plug with a hayward washer on it. IT WORKED! Didn't have to hold it so I used both hands to quickly switch out the gaskets on the fitting I'm using.

I did the switcheroo again this time putting in the new ghetto-gasket fitting.

BAM!

The silicone sort of gooped it in place from the inside of the pool so once again I didn't have to hold it. At this point it was barely leaking and I didn't even screw the nut and other ghetto-gasket fitting on yet! I had 2 hands again! Even time to take a pic!

I put the second washer in place, once again silicone gooping it in place. (I didn't use that much but it's sticky)

Finally screwed the last piece on making sure I did my best not to move anything...

Whaaaaattt!!!?

IT IS A RED GHETTO MASTERPIECE!

(if it doesn't leak) So far I see no signs of leakage. I'm going to EAT MY FREAKING LUNCH! Then I will check it after I eat.

I didn't use anything on the threads. The threads I'm worried about are the ones on the hose connector I'm going to screw into the fitting.

I actually have elbows and all sorts of amazing things that I had planned to put in but I'm all plumbed out for now. I need to be able to turn the pump back on so instead of fancy pants plumbing I'm planning on puttin the hose fitting in and attaching the hose with it's hose clamp.

I bought this stuff for the threads on the hose fitting. It seems to be what I found recommended in other threads here...

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work :goodjob:

I do not think there is really anything to be gained by having the gasket that much bigger than the nut, but glad it is sealed up.

Thank You!

I didn't want to take it apart to trace the intex gasket so all I had to go by was the intex fitting itself which I knew was bigger than it's gasket but I figured I'd rather have too big than too small.

Wouldn't it just figure that Lowe's only had 3 of the stupid rubber pieces? I actually have to go to a different lowes to buy my fourth if I ever want to change the intake fitting...

I stand by my statement ... the 1/2" or whatever exposed red gasket outside the nut is not doing anything. You could go lift it and put your finger behind it so it is clearly not needed. I do not know what the inside looks like though.

I understand it was a hassle to get it sealed, but it was not the extra on the outside that got it to stop dripping now.

Now it is time to have a beer and relax. My nightmare today was my irrigation system. Found out that my feeder power for the pump which should be 22nd is now 110. Ghetto engineering here I come. To overcome the power prob use my generator!!!!! Hahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I stand by my statement ... the 1/2" or whatever exposed red gasket outside the nut is not doing anything. You could go lift it and put your finger behind it so it is clearly not needed. I do not know what the inside looks like though.

I understand it was a hassle to get it sealed, but it was not the extra on the outside that got it to stop dripping now.

It's not the extra outer diameter that is sticking out that is keeping it from dripping, It is the slightly bigger diameter that is being fully covered by the fitting that I just couldn't get centered perfectly enough in the hole to work.

Picture a hole that is only about 1/4" smaller than the outer diameter of the gasket. Then picture a male fitting going through that hole and how much it can move left to right within the hole. With the hayward gasket if it was even off center a little you could see right through to the inside of the pool. All I needed was about 1/4" more outer diameter to make it work. I went overboard but that doesn't really matter in the end.

It would have worked with the 2 layers of gasket but I didn't have enough intex gaskets to layer so I just made a nice jumbo one. lol I know most of what you see is extra but it allowed me to get it centered and gave me some wiggle room just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

Now back to my hose fitting thing.... I'm going to use the Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound on the threads of that and screw it in since no one has said..."NO DON'T DO THAT!!!"

From what I've read on the forum it seems some people prefer the tape and some prefer the joint stuff and some prefer both. I'll start with just the compound and see if it leaks I guess. I need to start the pump and check my FC and add bleach etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*note to self* - Don't quit yer day job.

So... referring to the pic above that shows the hose piece and the oatey joint compound stuff...I don't think that is going to leak. I kinda liked that stuff.
However... there is a drip from the hose itself. Hose + Fitting + Clamp = leak.

Is it my fitting? Is it my clamp? Is it my hose? Is it ME? I bought another barbed type piece that was a little larger but if it that hose can fit on it it won't be through my strength...maybe I can get my husband to try to shove the hose on there...

We won't even talk about the extra work involved to use the other hose fitting (it's not threaded)

Is there some trick to making the hose not leak other than..."you bought the wrong piece, stupid!" ?

At least the pump is on. I think i'll go try to put in the eyeball and see what it does... I think the pump working at slightly lower psi now..

Heck I'll give you more pics. Why not? First pic: Hose connector piece with oatey joint compound stuff on it...

Second Pic: Everything attached.

Third pic: Closeup of connection. Can't see the drip, it's under the hose. Gravity and all that...

Alright that's it. I'm calling it a day.

Tried the eyeball. I guess the added resistance it caused made the threaded hose fitting unhappy because when I started it back up with the eyeball in place, that started dripping too. Joint compound and all.

Here's the deal. I have it tightened as much as I can, but if I try to give it one last "oomph" it makes the threads it's screwing into move. Meaning it turns the whole return fitting. Not good. That would technically loosen the thing I worked all day to stop leaking.

So, besides giving up, what do I do? (Tomorrow) It will just have to drip all night because it's going to get dark soon.

I'm going to get my trusty TF-100 and test the stupid FC. At least I can do *that* right. (I think. :crazy: )

I'm sitting here brooding. Thinking things over.

I have a hayward pump and filter. I bought it from leslie's. When I came home with that filter and pump I also came home with 2 hoses. One for intake, one for outlet. They are hayward brand hoses.

I now have a 1.5" hayward brand above ground pool return fitting attached to my pool.

What in tarnation am I *supposed* to use to connect one to the other? Obviously the return fitting has the ability to either screw a female threaded fitting on the outside of it, or a male threaded fitting on the inside of it.

Is there an "official" piece I should be using? I bought a hose adapter piece (pictured above) that I found in the pool section in lowes. It's leaking.

Should I have been able to find a piece in leslies? Is it a combination of pieces? Please if anyone knows what I should do...please help.

I have googled. I have searched these threads. It seems like there are a lot of options but the one I chose isn't working. Maybe if I had a different piece to slide the hose onto it wouldn't be leaking. It didn't leak when it was shoved up onto the intex plunger and clamped there. Why does it leak on an actual hose fitting piece?

I actually had planned to put an elbow, then a small section of 1.5" pvc to a different barb thing. That would have involved screwing the elbow into the return fitting, gluing the pvc to the bottom of the elbow then gluing on another piece that looked like I could make it shove into the hose. But I couldn't shove the hose onto that piece so I just used the threaded one and screwed it directly into the fitting.

I'm at a loss. If I am doing it "wrong" then nothing I do will keep it from leaking. I just want to use the "right" piece to clamp the hose to.

Hoses can take a set when they've been clamped in place a while.

A couple mechanic tips. They work on cars, maybe they'll work on pools.

1) Warm the hose to soften it. Dunk it in boiling water or heat it with a blowdryer.
2) Put a dab of grease on the worm gear of the hose clamp. The easiest way is to unscrew the clamp a half an inch too big, dab some grease on the slots, then tighten the clamp up and the grease will get transferred.
3) Use a socket on the clamp nut, rather than trying it with a screwdriver. It's either a 1/4" or a 5/16" (8 mm) so somebody you know (maybe even you) should have a 1/4 drive socket set with the right size.

I feel for you Beens! I had a very slow drip from my skimmer, return and the hose last year that I just gave up on. I'm re doing it as soon as I get my parts in a few days. It's why I haven't topped the pool off yet. I hope you find a solution!

Thanks.
I'm feeling pretty discouraged. Just spent an hour reading about thread sealant vs teflon tape. (Again)
It seems like sealant is the way to go so why didn't it work for me? Did I not use enough? Did I use too much? (Seems unlikely)

Are the threads "wrong" on the hose adapter I'm trying to use?

Trying to stop thinking about it and just watch tv and relax and instead here I am on my phone still researching and trying to figure out what to do next.

Beens. You could do what I did and do the 90° elbow at the return get a ball valve and then put your hose fitting on the ball valve going down. You could use flex pvc pipe from there to ur pump do u have the Hayward skimmer too?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

But is your elbow threaded? If it is, how in the world did you get it to not leak? I screwed a piece in to the fitting and it leaks. Unless there's something special about a threaded elbow I don't see why that won't leak too.

I don't know if I did something wrong with the sealant or if I shouldn't use the piece I used.

Unless I'm missing something, (which I probably am) I thought I could use any 1.5 thing now that I have the standard hayward fitting.

I've added a second hose clamp. It's the other type of clamp the brass wire looking kind. I also made sure it was as close to the end as possible so that it would be on the flattest part of the hose adapter. Then I clamped it the heck down.

Waiting now to see if that solves the hose leak problem.

Still no idea how to fix the thread leak problem. More solvent? Different hose adapter? I still don't know what is supposed to be used. If there's some official pool part I'm missing out on.

Help?

Would this be better? http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1105Z4-2-Inch-Elbow-Adapter/dp/B004VJSPOO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Is "MPT" wrong? It's a hayward part. I like the look of the barb on this. I'm thinking of using the hacksaw on the one I have if I keep it.

Would this threaded piece be any less likely to leak than the one I am using or is it just a matter of how I "lubricate" it??

what about this? http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX10...Z4+1+½"+Straight+Hose+Adapter+Hayward+(S144T)

I've added a second hose clamp. It's the other type of clamp the brass wire looking kind. I also made sure it was as close to the end as possible so that it would be on the flattest part of the hose adapter. Then I clamped it the heck down.

Waiting now to see if that solves the hose leak problem.

2 clamps. STILL LEAKING!!!??

Seriously now, I am not this pathetic and incompetent am I?? Please tell me it's my parts and not that I am just not able to do this because I am lame.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.