New pool - startup next week - questions

Feb 4, 2008
Princeton, NJ
Hi All,

our new pool will hopefully be ready on Sunday - plaster day ! We are in Princeton, NJ, and the temperature is currently in the high 80s - low 90s.

It's a 24K gallon inground freeform pool with 3m quartz finish, Jandy chlorine generator, IntelliFlo pump, Jandy PDA-PS8 controller, 6' sheer descent, Heliocol solar heat

I am looking for some help for the first weeks. I have successfully used BBB for two years on my last vinyl pool but this time it's a bit different ...

The TF100 test kit is on the way ...

Here is what I understand we'll need to do:

- once the pool is full (60% trucked in, the rest from a tap) we'll run the pump 24 hours
- brush twice a day for two weeks
- carefully monitor the PH daily and adjust if necessary with muriatic acid or Borax
- not add any salt or chlorine yet

So at what time do we add the salt, CYA, or do we need to do bleach for a while until the plaster is fully cured ?

When should I start managing alkalinity/hardness ?

What's a good source for pool salt ?

And after how many days is it safe to use the pool and walk on the plaster ?

Thanks a lot !

Patrick

You will need to add chlorine immediately and maintain it until the SWCG comes on line. Bleach is a good way to go.

Pool salt is nothing special. Get the Morton's Solar Salt in a blue bag. It will say 99.something % pure. No additives.

Your pool builder or the plasterer should have very specific advice on water chemistry for the plaster. Pay close attention because you risk your warranty if you don't follow their instructions.

JohnT is right on the money!

You can anticipate fighting pH creeping upwards for at least the first month due to the plaster curing. I went through about 5 gallons of muratic acid during that time, then it leveled off somewhat. So you are right to keep a close eye on that.

I added CYA immediately and salt after 30 days. My plaster finish IS different from yours (PebbleTec) so do like John says and do whatever your 3M finish warranty suggests (ask builder).

Good Luck down the Home Stretch!

Things have gone well:

FC 2.5
CC 0.0
TC 2.5
CYA 30ish
CH 200 (I might increase a little bit, maybe to 250)
TA 80
PH 7.4 (and creeping upward ever so slowly, plaster/quartz is 2 weeks old now)

Water is 88deg or so - using solar heat occasionally. Crystal clear ! (knock on wood)

PB says I need to wait 4 weeks to add salt (640 lbs of Morton's blue bags got delivered today), so I'll wait until I turn on the SWG. It may be overly cautious, but I don't mind using bleach for now.

Thanks all !

Patrick

That's good hear. Your numbers look good so far, just keep testing regularly and you should have no problems.

I would wait on adding any CH as it will likely increase as it leaches out of the curing plaster. 200 is good for now, just keep an eye on it every couple weeks or monthly.

Water is 88deg or so - using solar heat occasionally. Crystal clear ! (knock on wood)
Patrick, the "knock on wood" has nothing to do with your clear pool. It's your foresight to have a plan in place for your startup and to have the proper tools (test kit) and chemistry on hand to stay on top of your pool chemistry.

You will enjoy your pool and maintenance will be easy for you because you made your own "luck". Nice work! :lol:

Hi Patrick

Nice work on your pool chemistry! As duraleigh (dave) said, you have the knowledge and tools to keep your water beautiful!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Now, when can we expect to see some pix? 8)

I added 560 lb of salt on Friday, and the water has a definitive salty taste to is now. At first I was shocked to see the reading at 5700 ppm, but then I realized that the salt water is heavier, and as it flowed towards the main drain the cell would see a higher concentration of salt initially. Over the next 24 hours it went down and salted at 3200 ppm. The salt test strips from the TFT kit agreed.

The water somehow feels more pleasant, although the salty taste is an "acquired taste" ...

Now if I set my solar cells to max all day in the current heat wave I can boil enough pasta in my pool to feed a small country !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.