Having trouble figuring out which pump is compatable

loopza

Apr 12, 2014
AZ
Hey all,
So heres my probelem. My cuurent pump just died and it appears the previous owner installed a rebuilt pump. I called the place that rebuilt it and they were no help at all, so I figured I'd ask here. It seems they removed the factory label and the one they replaced it with is missing some info, and as such i'm having a hard time figuring out what pump is compatible. All the new label shows is.

Manf AO Smith
HP 1.0
Amps 20/10
Volts 115/230
RPMS 3450
FR 48Y

So I understand all the above, but there is no Model/Serial # or What the service factor is. Whats even more crazy is that it seems to be a single speed pump but is hooked up to a timer and a pole switch at the recepticle. When you flip the switch the pump operates at the same speed. So I'm guessing there used to be a 2 speed pump there and it was replaced with a single speed pump. In either event, my plan is to buy a 2 speed motor to replace it with, but from what Iv'e read service factor seems to be an important aspect in compatability. Does anyone have any advice, or should I just take a shot in the dark and buy another AO Smith thats 1.0/.16 HP with a SF of around 1.65? Any help someone can give me would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to TFP!

You could pull the pump apart and get the model number of the impeller and that would give you a clue as to the appropriate motor.

You can always go with a motor too big for the impeller, but not the other way around.

Thanks so much for the welcome as well as the quick reply. So the impeller is a pentex 105-238p, and if I understand you correctly, what your saying that is as long as the motor is compatable with the impeller i.e. not too small or exceeds the rated horsepower of the impeller. Then the service factor of the motor really doesn't make a difference. Is that correct?
Thanks again for all you help.

Thanks jblizzle,
I took your advice and cross referenced the # on the inpeller with the # on the lid and was able to determine that the pump is either a Max E Glass II or a Dura Glass II. In either event the motor was either a AE100EHL or A100EHL I guess they're essentially the same motor, which gives it a HPSF of 1.65. The actual amps were 19.2/9.6 so I guess the rebuilder just rounded up. Anyway, thank you very much for your help, it was invaluable. On that note if you or anyone else here could recommend a reasonable priced 2 speed pump that would awesome as well. Given the rating of this ones amps anything would have to be an upgrade on energy savings. Thanks again and specs are listed below for the pump/motor

Dura/Max E Glass II
Motor # AE100EHL/A100EHL
Currently what appears to be AO Smith SQ1102
FR 48Y
HP 1.0
SF 1.65
AMPS 19.2/9.6
Volts 115/230
RPMs 3450

Just look for a 2 speed 48y motor with a SFHP at least 1.65 and you should be good. You will also need a new shaft seal, and I would suggest the "go kit" which includes all the seals.

You will also need a switch to select speeds, a household 3way light switch is one option.

Thanks. And at the risk of sounding like an idiot can I ask you just one more question about this matter? So I found 2 pumps and hope you can give me some insight as to which is the better buy. The first one is an AO Smith SQS1102R Full Rate @ $300 it's 1-1/6 HP with a SF of 1.65 and 9.5/2.5 Amps. But for $50 more I found a discontinued AO Smith USQ1152R Up Rate. This one is 2-1.3 HP with a SF of 1.1 and 10/3 Amps. I figure the increase in total SF is .55 whie drawing only .5 more amps. Do you think it's worth the extra money? I would also probably have to swap out the impeller/difuser right? Which I suppose would add and extra $75-$100 Making it $125 to $150 more. What are your thoughts. Do you thing the added cost is worth it?

No problem. I don't think the added cost is worth it. They may actually be identical motors. One page I saw the SQS1102R listed the amps at 7.7/2.8.

The bigger the motor the more power it uses. You could use a larger motor on your existing impeller, but why pay the extra cost.

Don't forget the go-kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.