Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First-time pool owner, need help with setup

1. Back To Top    #1

First-time pool owner, need help with setup

Hey all. We recently moved into a house which has a pool (stats in sig). The pool has been covered for the entire winter and we are ready to remove the cover and set it up for the year. I took a water sample down to a local pool place and my stats are below. The water is also green from the little peak I did under the cover. I read the thread about the SLAM procedure, but it states that before you SLAM, that the pH must be up to speed first. With my pH being 8.3, I'm assuming acid needs to be added. How much do you guys suggest adding to bring the pH down? Anything else I need to do?

I also want to add that I haven't turned my pump on yet or done any sort of cleaning. The only time the pump has run since I've owned the house was when the freeze switch kicked in (below 35*).

23,000 gal, in-ground, plaster with 24" sand filter, 1.5" piping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First-time pool owner, need help with setup

Double post

3. Back To Top    #3

Most folks around here are going to tell you to ignore the pool store test results.
    You really need to have a good set of test results before you decide where to start.

About your pH.
    I plugged your info into pool math.
    It says you would need 42 oz. of muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.5.
    However I am a bit or a noob around here and would like to defer to someone with more experience to make sure I haven't steered you wrong.
    33,000 gal Inground Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Sand Filter
    2 skimmers
    2 returns
    1 vacuum line
    1 main drain

4. Back To Top    #4

The amount you need depends upon the strength of what you are adding. Using Pool Math (located on the tab at the top of the Forum) you will need from 38 to 91 ounces depending upon the strength of your acid. Read the label on your bottle and use pool math for the most accurate answer.

Welcome to the Forum.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Like was said, you need one of the recommended test kits to accurately follow the SLAM process ... impossible without it.

Also PoolMath will be very useful to help you determine how much chemicals is needed for a desired change.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP !!
    You also need an accurate reading on your CYA level so you know what your FC level is for the SLAM process. Only way to get that is with a good test kit. I use the TF-100
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone.

I ordered the TF-100 last night. Before I go about adding any chemicals, do I need to run the vacuum and pump for a while to clean it up?

8. Back To Top    #8

You want to scoop out as much of the solids as possible before starting SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!