Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH/Alkalinity adjustment before SLAMMING?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH/Alkalinity adjustment before SLAMMING?

I just got my TF-100 test kit today. Below are the results. I have green/brown algae and plan on slamming the pool with bleach (8.25% Clorox).

FC = 0
    pH = 8.2+ (more red than top reading on chart)
    Alkalinity = 50
    Calcium Hardness = 50
    CYA = 0
    Salt = 2400

I have read all of the shock/slam info on this forum and based on these results I assume I should lower pH level first? What would be the best way to do this and should I worry about the low Alkalinity level or pH first?

I am trying to figure out the most effective order and plan of attack since all of my readings are obviously out of whack... and what to add before using the bleach.
    Pool info: 21,000 gallon Fiberglass / Pentair SWG / Waterway ProClean 200 Cartridge Filter / 2-speed Hayward Pump (0.5/2.0 HP) / Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: pH/Alkalinity adjustment before SLAMMING?

PH first. Lower it before slamming. Add muriatic acid per your gallons and pool math. You can fix TA after the process. I'd be tempted to raise cya to at least 20 and slam at that level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

I would also get my CYA level to 20-30 ppm. It takes the harshness out of the chlorine and you'll get protection from burn off from the sun.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Just let me add,
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!