Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool heater on solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heater on solar cover

I don't have the room in the yard or the roof for the 4 solar heating mats 4 - 2X20 for a 16 X 32 15,000 gal IG would need. SOOO my thought is how about laying them on top of the solar cover to provide buoyancy and using 2 returns and some flex to provide the flow, the ends could flow right off or be controlled several different ways and and tie it all together so I can roll it up on the reel when we use the pool. During the day in full sunlight warm the pool. Looking for reasons as to why this wont work.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool heater on solar cover

I am not sure the panel would float. Plus a huge hassle if you wanted to actually use the pool.

Oh and pretty sure they would not roll up onto your cover reel.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Orlando, FL

Re: Pool heater on solar cover

The panels are very heavy when full of water. I fear, if you can get them out of the pool, they may break your reel. They do sell 2x10s that you might consider and sell what you have on Craigslist.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).