First full season

Greetings all. This will be the first full season for "our" pool. Bought the house at the end of last summer and the kids got about two weeks worth before it turned into a green monster. So after lurking and reading all winter the cover came off the other day and I registered on the site.
image.jpg

Welcome to the forum:wave:. You will be happy you joined.

The next step is to get a good test kit in order to take control of managing your pool water. Take a look here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

While you are waiting for the kit to come in, I would suggest removing leaves, twigs, and any other large debris from the pool. I would also stock up on lots of liquid bleach and have it ready to go before your test kit arrives. You will definitely need it. Once your kit arrives, run a full series of tests and post the results here. We will take it from there. If you follow our advice, your pool will turn from green to clean in short order.

Welcome! :wave:

That ain't so bad -- I can see shadows on the pool floor!

Step one: test kit. Bite the bullet, go to http://tftestkits.net and order up a TF100. You may as well get the XL option, since a SLAM is in your immediate future and the FAS-DPD reagent isn't easy to find in stores and you'll be using a lot of it. Also, no one who has bought a speedstire regrets it. It's a chunk o'change, but almost certainly cheaper than the first load of snake-oils the pool store would encourage you to buy.

While you await the kit's arrival, I see a leaf rake, a brush, and a lot of Motrin in your future.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

That was the algae sheet on the floor. The cover is a mesh safety cover. I'm a few days ahead of post so will try catching up. After raking and brushing it went the color of Godzilla. Decided to drain and flush to save on bleach $$$. Not ideal by TFPC but I am on a budget. First problem has showed up. I wasn't getting full draw from the main. I excavated the only available place and found 5-6 holes in the flex 40. $5 and a couple hours later section replaced and full pull from the main. image.jpg

I can't upload any more pics for some reason right now but the main was visible this morning and retested with
FC 5+
PH 7.8
TA 140
CYA 30<
CH 250

I added 5 more gallons after backwashing the filter. Still some bits on the deep bottom I'm stirring up but they are light yellow to grey and not green anymore. Going to let it settle down for a few hours and test again tonight after sun goes down. I still need some stabilizer as super store did not have any yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
108 days later and i am developing "sparkilingitis" as well.
FC 5
PH 7.5
TA 160
CH 250
CYA 40
82 degree water temp.

Besides dosings of bleach or liquid shock to-date all I have added was 7lbs of baking soda, 40lbs of salt, 4 boxes of Borax, 9lbs of stabilizer and 1 gallon of acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.