Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dpd chlorine powder?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dpd chlorine powder?

I have a taylor 2006 test kit...i am out of the powder used to test for chlorine and was wondering if there is an alternative to this powder? I like using drops much more plus the pool store here doesn't have the powder in stock, instead they have drops for testing. Basically is there a benefit to using the powder and are there other options to use with my kit? Thanks a lot
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dpd chlorine powder?

The DPD-FAS test is the only one I know of that can test above 5ppm, which is why we use it.

You can get more powder from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html Dave would be happy to ship it as quickly as he can.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

To expand on what Charlie_R said, the powder is the only way to do the FAS-DPD test, which is the one we recommend using and the only reliable way to measure high FC levels. R-0870 power is available from several sources on the Internet, including TFTestKits.net, but few physical stores carry it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, I'm gonna place an order with tftestkits.com to stock up. What do you guys recommend to test for salt? The circupool unit reads the salinity but didn't now if still need to test it or what to test it with.
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer the drop based salt test, there are also test strips, but they do not seem as accurate. You can find them both at tftestkits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cpool View Post
    The circupool unit reads the salinity but didn't now if still need to test it or what to test it with.
    Even though the SWG reads salinity, verifying the reading helps to ensure that the unit is reading correctly. I also prefer the drop test kit (k-1766) over the strips.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Even though the SWG reads salinity, verifying the reading helps to ensure that the unit is reading correctly. I also prefer the drop test kit (k-1766) over the strips.
    I'll second that!!! My si-45 has consistently read 6-700 ppm higher than my k-1766. Unfortunately, there's no way to calibrates the swg.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter