Pool pump not fully priming

Apr 1, 2012
Alabama
Good Evening,

This is my first time posting because I usually find all the answers I need so I didn't have to (Thanks everyone :D) But now I am stumped.

This past winter my pump housing cracked. Most companies I contacted wanted to charge me over $500.00 dollars, claiming that the pump housing itself cost over $400. I didn't believe that so I purchased one from Amazon for $172.00 (Hayward SPX3100AAZ). Once it arrived I figured I could also install it myself.

After I installed it, I turned on the pump and it will not fully prime, I took the motor off so I could check the impeller, re-checked all the piping and fittings. Still will not prime fully. Since the new pump housing didn't come with a new strainer basket I used my old one. It has a crack, but that crack has been there every since I've had this house (5 years) and that didn't stop it from priming before. So I removed the strainer basket and turn the pump on to see if will prime and for the first time since I replace the housing the water filled all the way to the top, with no bubbles but it still will not fully prime. I quickly turned the pump back off because I didn't want to do any damage. Now here's my question, since it don't seem like I am having any problems on the suction side. Could it be the motor? Thanks in advance!!!

The motor is 2 years old (1 hp Marathon Electric)
Hayward 244t sand filter
22,000 Gallon In-ground Pool
1 Skimmer
4 Returns

Welcome to TFP!

It is very unlikely to have anything to do with the motor.

Do you get a lot of frothing in the pump strainer basket? Are you getting air from the returns? There are various o-rings involved in assembling a pump. How confident are you that all of the o-rings got put back in the locations they belong in?

Frothing in the pump strainer basket is almost certainly caused by air getting in on the suction side. If not, then it could be an air leak in the impeller area.

The final thing to think on. Perhaps this is just coincidental, something not specifically related to your work on the pump. Perhaps you closed a valve and forgot to open it again, or perhaps the water level is low and air is getting pulled into the skimmer(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.