Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just replaced filters, now very low pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Just replaced filters, now very low pressure

Just installed 4 new cartridges in my Hayward C3025 and after putting everything back together, I noticed two things:

1) The pump strainer basket is not completely filled with water. It's probably a good 2-3 inches from the top and the splashes aren't even touching the top of the lid

2) The pressure is reading between 2 and 3 psi.

The return lines have a pretty good flow of water coming out (more than when the old cartridges were in there).

Is this normal or is something else going on? Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just replaced filters, now very low pressure

Did you close the bleed valve on your filter after replacing your cartridges? Something is wrong if you are not priming properly. I am sure someone with more experience will weigh in and offer more detailed knowledge but I know something is wrong if your pump strainer is not filling completely. Good luck and wait for some detailed help from the pros on here.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    Did you close the bleed valve on your filter after replacing your cartridges? Something is wrong if you are not priming properly. I am sure someone with more experience will weigh in and offer more detailed knowledge but I know something is wrong if your pump strainer is not filling completely. Good luck and wait for some detailed help from the pros on here.
    Yeah, I sure did. I know it's always filled completely after each time I cleaned the cartridges in the past so I am pretty confused since I have brand new cartridges in there.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the lid on your pump strainer on tight?

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    Is the lid on your pump strainer on tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, very tight. I just noticed there's a small drip coming from the joint on the metal band that wraps around the filter. I've had the toughest time getting that to seal over the years. My process (not sure if it's right) is to tighten the bolt, hit on the band with a rubber mallet, and repeat about 4 or 5 times. I torque it down to 150 inch pounds. I just looked at the manual and it says not to hit the clamp with a hammer so maybe I shouldn't be doing that!

UPDATE: Just went back out there and the leak is not coming from the band. It was no longer leaking, but then I turned the bleed valve open and as soon as I closed it, water started coming out of it and going down the outside of the filter housing and dripping from the band. I stayed out there for about 5 mins and the water was still coming out of that valve on top.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You have a suction side air leak that is causing your psi to be low and the air showing up in the pump strainer basket. It is not from the filter. The filter is a separate issue......solve them one at a time.

There is an article in Pool School about suction leaks that may help.

It makes be a bit nervous when you say your lid is on "Very tight". The suction from the pump should make that seal and the lid itself should never have to be much more than snug for the system to work properly. If you are having to make that lid really tight, I would look to the 0-ring as a source of the leak.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School