Check Valve Surprise

Jan 21, 2014
SE Louisiana
I just recd my jandy chk valves from UPS. Was so happy to see everything I need to finish my plumbing tomorrow. First thing I read on the instruction manual is "This check valve is not designed for use with air blowers". :mad:

That's exactly what I just purchased them for. I have two stub outs at my spa. One for lower leg jets and one for back jets. I got advice to plumb check valves as close to the spa as possible to prevent water backup in the air line. Explanation was that you wanted as little water up the line as possible so the blower didn't have to work OT to push it out. I have plans to put a hartford loop just a few feet away from spa, but was told that chk valves would still be worth it.

I decided to get the "better" chk valves ... but now i see this "don't user for air blower comment.

@#%@#$^#$^$#&@#$%#$%@#$$%

If I can't use these really good check valves, then what can i use!?

Shouldn't the blower be strong enough to clear out the lines without check valves? I have not heard of needed a check valve. Actually if the spa is properly designed, there is no need for a blower at all usually.

This is my first time plumbing, so I really don't know how is going to work out. On one side of this, I hear comments like yours regarding people not needing blowers at all. On the other end, I hear people saying the don't get any good air flow and they burn up blower motors. I do plan on putting the loop in, so the blower would only need to clear about 6 feet plus the amount of air line in the spa if I don't put the check valve in. I guess I was figuring that the check valves wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Btw ... I did more research over the weekend and the blower motor I plan to get calls for a 1/2 lbs air valve. Soooo ... lesson learned for me. 1 - air and water check valves may seem to look and be identical, but they are considered different. 2 - you need to get the right kind of lbs rating for the kind of blower you buy.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most blower motor mfgs sell a simple inline check valve. They are clear plastic and have a spring to allow pressure out.

They also help moisture from coming back up into the line and into the motor housing and brushes - that can rust and fail prematurely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.