1st time reading with swg what to do first please help

Cpool

Oct 30, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi guys I just finishing my swg install and just tested my water and am ready to start balancing for the season but kinda confused what to attack first...here's my readings. The water doesn't look so good, cloudy and maybe a hint of green. I added 22 40lb bags of salt 24rs ago and my swg is off at te moment.

Fc-0
Cc-0
Ph-8.1
Ta-100
Ch-40
Cya-nearly 0. My taylor 2006 kit only show to 30
Salt-the circupool unit reads 3700. I don't have anything to test salt yet.

I would lower PH with acid. Add the amount of CYA to get to your target level (it can take a week to read on a test) and then proceed to slam pool based on target CYA.

I'm open to corrections on this advice.

Yup.
Lower the pH, add 20-30ppm of CYA (unless this is a fresh fill, you likely have some in there already), Start the SLAM Process assuming your CYA is at the target you added CYA to achieve.

Leave the SWG off for this entire process. Once you pass the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM process, then raise the CYA up and dial in the SWG.

Yep you need to SLAM the pool. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
Get you PH down in the low 7's with acid.
Get your CYA level to 30 ppm. Then get your FC up to SLAM level for 30 ppm of CYA. The SLAM level is 12. Don't bother testing for CYA, just assume it's there and start the SLAM. It will take up to a week to show up on a test.
If you don't have stabilizer on hand and you want to get started, add enough bleach to get your FC level to 10. Then add stabilizer to get to 30 ppm of CYA. Then adjust your FC level up to 12.

Thanks Jblizzle. To be clear to the OP (which I wasn't originally). You need to target your PH to 7.2-7.5. Use "pool math" which there is a link to at the top of this page to determine how to get there......same with CYA. "Slamming" your pool is better detailed in Pool School (also big link above) and "how to" section.

In pool school is says to raise cya to around 70-80 and lower ta to 60-80...do you guys agree with this?

Yes, but......not now. Finish the SLAM process first.

You only want the CYA to about 30 for now because it is easier/cheaper to SLAM the pool with lower CYA level. The TA should be adjusted later, after everything else is done, and then only if you have a problem with pH rise.

Ok got it. I need to start slamming the pool today, I purchased all my bleach but I am out of my powder for my Taylor 2006 kit. No stores have it either, wondering if I should wait the whole week it takes to get it shipped. Should I just find another alternative to test it? The pools starting to look pretty bad.

Testing is such an important factor in the slam process, I'd get powder ordered ASAP.

If it were me....and the pool is starting to look bad.....I'd go ahead and use pool math to calculate bleach needed to bring it up to slam and brush a brush a brush a. After that, without testing you won't know where you are. I would say add enough to at least add 2-3 parts per million daily.

That's if it were me. But if you're not comfortable knowing you're chemistry, wait for your testing supplies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.