Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Readings

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Readings

Good Afternoon all! Thanks to this awesome site I have learned a bucket full! I have received my TF-100 test kit and gave it a whirl and here are my findings. It is about 83 here today in Oklahoma, water temp is still 65 or so. If I tested right my readings are:
    FC-1
    CC-1
    TC-2
    CH-200
    TA-170
    CYA-55
    PH-7.8
    1 ppm bromine

The pool is apprx 15000 gallons and also has a pure ozonator installed. I would like to give the ozone thing a whirl just for kicks. Any tips on the readings would be greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Readings

You desperately need more chlorine. With CYA at 55 you should never allow FC to fall below 4. Also, if the CC reading doesn't go down as soon as you add more chlorine you will also need to SLAM the pool (see Pool School for instructions).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply man, it's appreciated. I have the autofeed with the chlorine tabs. I will turn it up and monitor it. I also have the timer for the pump to run from 2a-10am, should I flip that to during the day time and sunlight hours to get a better reading?

4. Back To Top    #4

STOP!!!
    You need to do some more reading in Pool School. Specifically these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You must stop using tablets immediately since your CYA is already just above the recommended limit.

The pump needs to be on at least 30 minutes before you test and after you add any chemicals.

BTW, the ozone is not going to do anything for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jblizzle, I have read the articles but haven't studied them if that makes sense. My readings of them and this thread is literally more pool school than what I got from my builder. I've been flying pretty blind. I am not sure if I can get the tabs that are in the chute out, but will give it a whirl. Thanks again, I will continue to study up, I do think the info on here is awesome.

6. Back To Top    #6

It certainly is like drinking from a fire hose. See if you can hopefully get the tablets out ... otherwise maybe turn it WAY down so that they are added very slowly and use bleach / liquid chlorine to maintain adequate FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Reading and rereading is your best bet. To put it simply....chlorine in dry form (tabs or otherwise) is stabilized (mostly) by either calcium (ch....remember that test) or cyuranic acid (CYA). Neither of these things leave your pool by being consumed in any way by anything really, but only draining. Accumulating too much of either of these can be problematic. That is why the recommended method here is to use bleach. Until you get to understand the chemistry, use bleach, follow the advice here, and keep testing. Your "tabs" are most likely dichlor or trichlor which is stabilized by CYA.....which is why Jblizzle told you to stop.

Keep reading and asking questions.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html