Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair of Little Giant APCP-1700 Pool Cover Pump

1. Back To Top    #1
    Seattle, WA

Repair of Little Giant APCP-1700 Pool Cover Pump

I have a Little Giant pool cover pump. Itís a model APCP-1700 and itís a bit of a pricy pump, going for around $140+ online and likely $250 at a pool store.

I noticed the pump wasnít automatically starting unless I gave it a sharp tug on the output hose. It would then turn on and complete a cycle but it didnít completely pump off all the surrounding water like it used to. It seemed to short cycle.

So I opened it up and took off the float to check it out and sure enough, the float was half filled with water. The float is a hollow plastic shell with a hole in the middle, like a doughnut. The leak was micro sized and somewhere down in the center hole area. It was invisible to the eye, but if I sucked on the center hole from one side, and covered the other side of the center hole with my finger, I could draw out a few drops. That would have taken an enormous toll on my cheek muscles, to get rid of all the water. I had a hand vacuum pump meant for automotive repair and I was able to use that to get all the water out. After a half hour of pumping and shaking and repeating many dozens of times, it was mostly empty.

To seal up the leak I got a section of a green Starbucks straw (that's how you life hack in Seattle) that was the perfect size to stick down the center hole and slathered that with PVC cement Ė it kind of would act as a liner to seal any leaks. I slid that down into place to deliver glue where it was needed, let it set for a half hour, reassembled, and now the pump is working like a champ.

Iíve read a couple of posts that mention the pump is not to be left out in freezing temperatures, which Iím certain mine was, so I guess the float (and possibly other parts) are delicate in that regard. The pump was under warranty, but the cost of shipping back to Indiana and not having a pump for possibly weeks had its downsides.

Replacement floats, P/N 177344, are available from and Iíve got one on order just in case this happens again.

There's also a post here on the same topic with great pictures of the float.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Repair of Little Giant APCP-1700 Pool Cover Pump

Good post. I love seeing people dig in to the mechanics of their equipment and solve their own problems.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry