Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to superchlorinate?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to superchlorinate?

Hi, just finished my install of circupool si45+. Dumped my salt in and I am waiting to start the cell up. I was wondering when do you guys use super-chlorinate? The pool water looks ok but has had no chlorine in it for about a week or so. There is debris on the bottom but water looks decent, not perfect by any means. Haven't shocked or slammed my pool in months and months bc it never reads cc. Should I just wait to see cc to use super-chlorinate? Thanks in advance.
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to superchlorinate?

There is hardly ever any reason to use super chlorinate. About the only time I use it is when I am slamming the pool and want the SWG to help supplement my manual chlorine additions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So i can use super chlorinate to help with slamming the pool? Will this reduce how much bleach i must add?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you can use the SWG in a supporting role while SLAMing, and that will reduce the amount of chlorine you need to add manually. The key thing to understand is that it is very important that the FC level come up very quickly during the first portion of slamming, which is best done with manual chlorine additions, while the SWG is much better used as part of maintaining the level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Super chlorinate just means the SWG is running at 100%. You can do the same thing by turning the knob to the right.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Difference being, when super is turned on, it will run for 24hrs as long as the pump is running.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

It will run for 24 hours at 100%, and then go back to it's previous setting automatically. That can be good or bad depending on the situation. For an extended SLAM, you might want to manually turn it up to 100% so you don't need to press super chlorinate each day, but when things are moving along more quickly, having it go back automatically can be very convenient.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd rather just add liquid chlorine to boost my numbers rather than use the SWG so heavily. I just figure I'd be saving some wear and tear on it.
    My SWG is pretty much my back up or baseline chlorinator and rarely is it set above 10%/max 8 hours run time. I lose very little with the use of the autocover, and on the very few times I needed to raise my levels the liquid chlorine is a much faster response which I desire.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Gray info thanks!!