Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Back Up Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Back Up Valve

Folks,
    Polaris 380. Is the back up valve supposed to have a jet of water coming from it when it is not in 'back up mode'? I'm assuming a trickle is fine, but I'm getting a jet of water permanently from the valve. The jet is about 40 to 50% of the power of the jet that you see at 'back up cycle' time. I'm sure this is robbing the cleaner of power. Wheels are rotating at about 20 RPM.....not 28 as I read in the service book. Time for a new valve I think?

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Back Up Valve

Mine does not trickle as you describe. I would try taking it apart apart and inspecting for debris in the mechanism. It's simple to disassemble and free to try.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas956 View Post
    Mine does not trickle as you describe. I would try taking it apart apart and inspecting for debris in the mechanism. It's simple to disassemble and free to try.
    Yes I'll pull it apart and see if I can repair it. I'm sure it never used to push out 50% flow all the time.
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine was doing the same thing. I called the company that built our pool and he said to "knock it against the coping a few times" to see if that could dislodge debris stuck inside. I tried it and it actually worked for a day or two.

I ended up buying a new backup valve and I just installed it and now my polaris 380 is as good as new. I'm going to disassemble my old one just to see if I can fix it so I have a spare. I think I'll need a dremel drill to cut the collar off. I cannot untwist it no matter how hard I try. If it seems like i can get the insides in good working order and find an obvious obstruction, I'll buy a new collar and keep the old backup valve as a spare.

I'd suggest buying the backup valve off Amazon. It's around $50 online and it was $90 to buy it locally at Leslie's.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreampool13 View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing. I called the company that built our pool and he said to "knock it against the coping a few times" to see if that could dislodge debris stuck inside. I tried it and it actually worked for a day or two.

I ended up buying a new backup valve and I just installed it and now my polaris 380 is as good as new. I'm going to disassemble my old one just to see if I can fix it so I have a spare. I think I'll need a dremel drill to cut the collar off. I cannot untwist it no matter how hard I try. If it seems like i can get the insides in good working order and find an obvious obstruction, I'll buy a new collar and keep the old backup valve as a spare.

I'd suggest buying the backup valve off Amazon. It's around $50 online and it was $90 to buy it locally at Leslie's.
    Thanks for the tip on Amazon, I'll look into that. Kudos to whomever can dismantle those valves. No way is mine coming apart. It's a very awkward piece, I did get a sears rubber strap wrench around the outside but couldn't budge it. I think you will need a dremel, I think they have applied some sort of adhesive to the threads before assembly.
    Thanks for the reply.

6. Back To Top    #6

I put mine in my bench vise with a rag around it so as to no mar up the body and use one of those rubber strap wrenches to twist the top off. Pretty straight forward.