Recommendations for New SWG

tucsontico

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I'm pretty new to the forum but have already received lots of good advice/information. I'll be discussing an equipment replacement with my pool builder this week and want some suggestions on an SWG.

My Pentair system (see signature block below) was installed last April and is still under full warranty. During the original pool build, the contractor installed a King Pool Frog chlorinator and an A & A ozone generator hooked to a Mazzei venturi injector. I've already had problems with the injector leaking air into my system and the Pool Frog tricolor tabs putting in way too much CYA in my pool in less than 1 year (120+ ppm!). I've drained and refilled my pool and have stabilized the chemistry via the TFP recommendations but need a better/reliable source of chlorine. Obviously, my pool builder will, more than likely, suggest a Pentair-branded SWG.

Since the main components of my system are Pentair, it makes sense to me to continue with them for warranty purposes. I've searched the forum and there are lots of opinions out there. Hear are a few questions to the forum:

1. Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with the Pentair IC40 SWG?
2. Are there other SWGs I should consider?
3. Should they plumb the SWG in a bypass loop configuration like I've seen the Digital AutoPilots advertised?
4. What about using the IntellipH system to add MA automatically?

Thanks in advance!

1. The big negative I have seen is only having 20% increments when you do not have automation. You already have automation, so would have better control. Also, their replacement cells are a little more expensive.

2. You could really run any separate SWG if you were able to have it only powder when the pump is on ... this would be easier to stick with Pentair

3. I don't think there is any reason do to that.

4. A nice option, but not required.

I have a IC 40 and it works fine, like JBlizzle says though, the only drawback is the 20 percent increments. Personally I really dont have a problem if my chlorine is a small bit high or low as long as it keeps me within my high/low recommneded FC range. It would be nice though to have a display to tell me a bit more what is going on in there! :confused:

if you have automation, consider whatever difficulties there might be in implementing the SWG to your automation system in your selection

Pentair makes very good quality products. However in my opinion the overall design of the Intellichlor is a bit "dated" as it doesn't offer a digital readout screen like you would find from other manufacturers on the same level (i.e. Hayward or AutoPilot). This is more of an ease of use concern than a quality of product concern. The other thing I don't like about Pentair's design is that part of the controller is actually built in to the cell which makes replacement cells a more expensive than comparable quality/sized units from other manufacturers.

I believe these to be fair market numbers of what a cell could be purchased for today:
AutoPilot RC-42 Replacement Cell: Can be found for under $350.00 (OEM original)
Hayward T-CELL-15 Cell: Can found for under $430.00 (OEM original)
Pentair IC-40 Cell: Doing a quick Google search shows options in the $500-510.00 range as a good price.

Do you plan on installing the unit your self or having your Pentair dealer do it? If doing it your self you'll want to review Pentair's warranty policy. Their revised policy states that if a "qualified installer" installs the Intellichlor you have a 1 year warranty. If it is not installed by a "qualified installer
you are down to a 60 day parts only warranty.

(Disclosure: I am an AutoPilot Pool Pilot dealer.)

Thanks jBlizzle, Divin Dave and JoshU.

My plan is to ask my pool builder to remove the Frog and ozonator and replace it with an SWG at his cost. His team installed the Frog incorrectly (according to the manufacturer–I talked to and exchanged pics with their tech support department) which directly led to the high CYA in the water causing me to drain 2/3 of my pool water and refill it unless than 1 year. Additionally, they installed the Mazzei venturi injector wrong (again confirmed by their tech support department) which led to a several month-long air leak. I think that is a fair request considering their mistake cost me money (pool refill and increased chemical use) and the cost of an IC40 is close to the combined cost of the Frog and ozone system.

I believe the original contractor is a Pentair installer, I also expect any warranties to be "full length."

Spoke to pool installer this afternoon and he agreed to remove the Frog system and the ozonator and replace it with a Pentair IC40 SWG.

Last edited:
Spoke to pool installer yesterday afternoon and he agreed to remove the Frog system and the ozonator and replace it with a Pentair IC40 SWG. This change will be at no charge to me. Couple of questions:

1. Should I opt for an upgraded power panel, e.g., EasyTouch to Intellitouch?

2. Does the Pentair ScreenLogic2 hardware/software add any tremendous capability for it's price?

Thanks again! :D

1) Most people don't need IntelliTouch, as EasyTouch is fine in most situations. However the more complex your setup, and the more you are interested in things like macros, programming, and scenes, the more value IntelliTouch has,
2) The big advantage of ScreenLogic is remote control. That is worth very little to me, but some people really like it.

My IntelliPh is nice to have once dialed in. The biggest/only real issue is the rollers in the peristalsis pump are a cheap plastic. The MA eats them up. They barely last a season without needing to be replaced (about $50).

JasonLion & phipsi1237,

Appreciate the info. I think the EasyTouch will handle my simple installation and, while I like the ScreenLogic concept, the cost/benefit is just not there for me–even though I am a bit of a home automation geek. However, I am interested in the IntellipH but not keen on replacing critical parts every season! I will talk to pool builder and see if we can make a "deal." ;)

I think Pentair sent me a check valve to install on the IntelliPh that's supposed to help. Also, it should be fairly easy to extend the tubing so that the connections aren't inside the housing. I'm just not there enough to deal with it. Pentair's support has been great though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tucsontico,

I have 2 EasyTouch systems (home & rental) with IC40's and Intelliph's. The home system is about 24 months old. I was so pleased with the home setup I recently installed them in my rental. The Intelliph works so well 3 of my neighbors have installed them this spring.

During the winter I remove the IC40 and Intelliph, clean and store them. I had heard about the roller problem in the Intelliph. Very little wear was observed on the rollers or tubing prior to reinstalling the Intelliph about a month ago. Nevertheless I liberally lubricated the tubing and rollers. I also keep a spare pump head ($40) around for insurance.

BTW, when the IC40 was removed last fall, the plates were almost spotlessly clean after 6 months of use. While the water is well balanced, I wonder if this could also be due to injecting the acid just prior to the SWG.

As far as remote control is concerned, I was never a fan of the Screen Logic because the access from the web goes through Pentair servers. If their servers go down so does my access! Since we travel a lot, access from anywhere in the world is important. In addition, the wireless equipment interface seemed like a kluge and expensive. I opted for an Autelis system. It's inexpensive, easy to install, easy to use, has a built in web server and has worked flawlessly for 2 years.

If you want to see one of the set ups, PM me. One is just north of Catalina. The other is at Sunrise and Kolb.

Good luck!

Vcbmoore,

Thanks for the information. Good to know the equipment can handle our hot, bright summers. BTW, we're practically neighbors! I'm near Sabino Canyon and Cloud. I will PM you regarding viewing one of your setups and getting some tips about the IntellipH and the Autelis system.

The pool builder is scheduled to remove the ozonator and Pool Frog on Apr 25, then install an IC40 in their place. We haven't discussed adding an IntellipH, but I will broach the subject early next week. Since my system is still under warranty, I'm reluctant to modify it myself. However, I do like having the remote control abilities for when we travel, too.

Stay Cool!
Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.