Timing of new vinyl liner

buddywiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Morgantown, WV
I'm going to need a new liner soon, but might be able get another season out of the old one. Let's say I wait until closing the pool and replace it at that time. I wouldn't fill the pool, but would add as much water as needed, which would be below the return lines. This means that I wouldn't be able to properly circulate chemicals for winterization. What would be the best way to add chemicals. or could I just not add any?

We were in this position at the end of last year. We opted to wait on changing the liner until this spring. We left enough water in the pool to hold everything together and closed.

If you were to replace the liner first your best bet is not to add any chemicals without the ability to run the pump. You may need to Slam upon opening, but that's better than accidentally fading the liner due to improper circulation.

You can likely rent a gasoline powered water pump to stir the water if you choose. I used a similar small diesel powered water pump to stir the water in my pool last year when I was dealing with a below ground suction side plumbing issue for a couple of weeks.

Ike

attachment.php

p.s. the chair and case of bleach were important parts of the process to keep the PVC in place due to the jet action of the water flow.

We just had a new liner installed a week ago. The pool drained itself over the fall and winter last year due to leaks that had developed in the 10 year old liner. We had a tad bit of frost damage to the vermiculite bottom, but the installers cleaned that up with no problem when they put the new liner in. Just filled it a few days ago and now getting the water balanced (adding CYA, TA, Hardness) and it looks great and is crystal clear. Hit 80 hear today in Charlotte, and the pool water temperature is 62. After working in the yard I was tempted to jump in..lol..but not quite yet.

Couldn't you close it a couple weeks early, have the work done, fill it as normal and then winterize it? Bummer to not get use of a brand new pool..but I think winterizing in a "normal" state might be better unless you rig up something like Isaac did. I just have visions of a ice building up in an unfilled pool and slicing into that new liner...

Good luck!

PS - We went with a different liner pattern/bottom combination than our old one and it looks great...

pool1.jpg

BeachAV8R

We just had a new liner installed a week ago. The pool drained itself over the fall and winter last year due to leaks that had developed in the 10 year old liner. We had a tad bit of frost damage to the vermiculite bottom, but the installers cleaned that up with no problem when they put the new liner in. Just filled it a few days ago and now getting the water balanced (adding CYA, TA, Hardness) and it looks great and is crystal clear. Hit 80 hear today in Charlotte, and the pool water temperature is 62. After working in the yard I was tempted to jump in..lol..but not quite yet.

Couldn't you close it a couple weeks early, have the work done, fill it as normal and then winterize it? Bummer to not get use of a brand new pool..but I think winterizing in a "normal" state might be better unless you rig up something like Isaac did. I just have visions of a ice building up in an unfilled pool and slicing into that new liner...

Good luck!

PS - We went with a different liner pattern/bottom combination than our old one and it looks great...

pool1.jpg

BeachAV8R

The main reason to do it in the fall was to save $300-400 on water to fill it up. The plan now is to put a down payment on it in the fall, have the measurements done and have it ready to be installed next spring. That's assuming there are no major problems when I open it in the next few weeks. I've already got the water circulating and had to replace some plumbing from the pump to the filter, so knock on wood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.