Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool doesn't have a auto fill valve, thinking of doing this...

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool doesn't have a auto fill valve, thinking of doing this...

I have a 50 year old plaster pool without an auto fill valve. I hoping in the near future to re plaster, tile and upgrade the copper lines to PVC but that's when I have spare $10k laying around.

Anyway, I'm planning to re plumb in the pool pump house and I had an thought.

Could I plumb in a water line via a 'T' to the return line and controlled by a ball and check valve? This way, instead of throwing a dirty water hose in the pool, I could open the valve up and fill er up. I'd still have to monitor the water level when filling but would make my life a step or two easier.

Thoughts? Concerns??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool doesn't have a auto fill valve, thinking of doing this...

I don't think that is a good idea ... you can not rely on only a ball and check valve to prevent pool water from contaminating your fresh water supply. maybe if you also had an anti-siphon valve ... but I just not have warm fuzz feelings about having the pressured pool water trying to enter the freshwater.

BTW, "USA" is too generic of a location to be helpful in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

This would be an instance where I could see a double check valve(also called backflow preventer I believe) being absolutely 100% necessary. With a regular autofill device the chances of getting pool water into your fresh water lines are slim to none, but doing it the way you describe makes that highly possible.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Auto-fills will hide a leak in the pool.....until you get your water bill.

Just my personal preference but for that reason alone, I would not want one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like my idea isn't so great after all. Its was just a thought. Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

All you really need is a back flow preventer valve to make your proposal work. They are getting more common/affordable, as they are starting to be required on all external hose faucets in some areas. They are around $40-50 for the kind you need (dual check valve with vent).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

FWIW, I really like the idea as a retrofit....I never liked having to toss a hose around, and turning a valve does make things more clean. But you just have to take precautionary steps to avoid problems. overall it's not much more complicated that what you proposed.

In my area to pass code I have to have a backflow preventer/double check valve on a normal autofill device (to pass code) even though gravity would have to invert and God would have to strike me down for pool water to get into the fresh line.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll look into the back flow valves.

Something else I need to take into consideration is that my pump/filter sits about 3-4' below the water level so I definitely need a bomb proof system.

Jasonlion- I get the dual check valve but what's the reasoning behind the vent in my situation?

9. Back To Top    #9

The vent works as a syphon breaker and also allows the pool side of the line to be drained for winterizing. This feature is often required by code when back flow prevention is required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School