Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Toying with the idea of building a hottub

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central Kentucky

Toying with the idea of building a hottub

We've been considering the idea of adding a hot tub to the corner of our existing pool or if not a spill over type tub, at least a free standing one. I haven't done much research on the subject yet, but I'm getting started on gathering info. I'm fairly handy when it comes to building/designing things, but I'm looking for info from those of you who might have undertaken a project such as this in the past. What are the positives and negatives? Can I use existing equipment (heater) or would I be better off making it a completely separate system? Should I just construct a place to drop in a tub and not worry with a full DIY project?

What say ye, oh wise members of this great forum?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Toying with the idea of building a hottub

Unless you are both industrious and lucky, buying a separate tub will cost less. It is possible to add a spill over spa to an existing pool but it takes a fair bit of extra effort. To add a spillover means: engineering to insure the weight won't compromise the existing pool wall, trenching (possibly through the deck) to run plumbing lines, either boxing in a fiberglass tub shell or forming a concrete/plaster spa area, plumbing, probably a new automation system (optional but really nice), and so on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School