Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best pump/filter combo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best pump/filter combo?

We plan on purchasing an Intex 18'x52" Ultra Frame and using the Krystal Clear saltwater system, but I'm lost on what would be the best size pump and filter to use. It will come with a 1600 but I read that, while it will work, it's not quite adequate. I was looking at the Intex 2650 sand filter and pump, but is there something better out there that doesn't cost much more? I'm still trying to learn the basics so links would be helpful.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best pump/filter combo?

There are many things that are better, but they generally cost quite bit more. The Intex 2650 pump & sand filter combo is a very good deal, probably the best choice in it's price range. I recommend getting the salt system as a separate unit, rather than bundled with the pump/filter. Salt systems have very different lifetimes from pump/filters, and it is difficult (at best) to service them separately when purchased all three together. Buying the pump/filter together usually works out alright, just not the three way combo with the salt system.

It is possible to run an Intex pool with the pump filter that come with it, but I really don't recommend it. The cartridge filters that come with most of their pools are drastically undersized, which frequently leads to problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If I were to go with a 22'x52" instead of an18', would the 2650 sand filter/pump combo still be enough?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-22-X...-Pool/22474582

4. Back To Top    #4

That should also be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the quick replies!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought the 22' x 52' intex last week and I've been researching the pump / filter issue also. I've pretty much decided to go with the intex 2650 sand filter and the intex swg. The intex 2650 has gotten great reviews and you can't beat the price. To get a better setup than that with Hayward equipment I was looking at over $600 not including the swg. I'm going to see how the intex does this season and if I need to upgrade next year that at least spreads the cost out. Hopefully I won't have to! Good luck!
    Intex 22' x 52' AG, Krystal SWG, Intex 2650 Sand filter, TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jdsaviator View Post
    I just bought the 22' x 52' intex last week and I've been researching the pump / filter issue also. I've pretty much decided to go with the intex 2650 sand filter and the intex swg. The intex 2650 has gotten great reviews and you can't beat the price. To get a better setup than that with Hayward equipment I was looking at over $600 not including the swg. I'm going to see how the intex does this season and if I need to upgrade next year that at least spreads the cost out. Hopefully I won't have to! Good luck!
    Where did you get the pool from, if I may ask?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferx2 View Post
    Where did you get the pool from, if I may ask?
    I got it from Walmart. One of the stores near me had it in stock. I had actually ordered the 18'x52' from somewhere else but saw that Walmart had the 22' for like $70 more than I paid for mine so I cancelled the order and went with this one.
    Intex 22' x 52' AG, Krystal SWG, Intex 2650 Sand filter, TF-100 test kit.