Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What temperature do you run your heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

What temperature do you run your heater?

Last year was the first time I ran my pool. I ran it at 84 degrees. Obviously, comfort has a cost. What is a reasonable temperature for keeping it heated for you?

What is the minimum ambient temperature do you realistically have your heater turned on? Last fall I ran it when it was 60 degrees and I ran it at 84 degrees. Very costly. Hahahaha. What's a. More reasonable temperature outside to run the heater? 70+? 75+?
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What temperature do you run your heater?

I find that my pool water settles at a temperature that is somewhere between the low and high air temperature. I run the heater in the pool once the water temps are around 65F and the high/low air temps would facilitate the water either getting warmer or at least stabilizing at that level. A water temperature of 65F is right at the minimum temperature that I get in the pool, although I would prefer it to be warmer. So when the water hits 65F combined with air temps that will at least support that water temperature on its own, I can justify running the heater to get water temps at least into the 70's. In the spring, Mother Nature is working with you. In the fall, the opposite is true.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    A water temperature of 65F is right at the minimum temperature that I get in the pool, although I would prefer it to be warmer.
    That's nuts. I'd turn the heater on if I knew good weather was coming in the forecast just to bump up the temp. Maybe 70-75 ish

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep telling myself I will get in with temps in the 70s. I always end up waiting until 80s.

My biggest problem is going under water (when it's cold) to get my weights situated to hold the steps down.

I set my heater to keep the water around 80-82 overnight depending on the forecast. Most often I target when I want to swim as opposed to maintaining the temperature.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

The kids will get in at just about any temperature, but we (the adults) generally want the water at 83 or higher before we will get in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

83 is my lucky number.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Grandkids don't care what the water temperature is, but with my arthritis, I like it at least 82-83. Warmer is better! We only run the heater if I know for sure I want to get in or we are having a family party.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

8. Back To Top    #8

We heated the pool to 100 for St Patty's Day, and then to 95 last week. Normally we don't heat the pool, just the spa, but we do like to heat it if the weather is nice out of season.
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

9. Back To Top    #9

I like 83 as well.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I prefer 85 degrees. My wife prefers 88 or warmer.

Thanks!
    David
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

11. Back To Top    #11

I have solar heat, so it is more of a goal than a set point in the spring and fall, and I generally set it to 84 degrees, mostly swim in the afternoon and evenings, so it is often close to the goal temperature most of the season.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

We use mainly solar and it was 92 deg this weekend. Normally I keep it at 89-90 in the summer. It is so nice especially if you swim at night.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

13. Back To Top    #13

It is finally getting to a sustainable 65-70 degrees here in Virginia. I think it's time to use the heater.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

We usually prefer around 85. I have the temp dial stop set on the pool just above that so when I turn the heater on I can just turn it to that setting and forget it. That usually works pretty well. I say usually, as the set screw is not as tight as it used to be and a couple times the dial has gone past that without me really paying attention to it. A couple times I came back to find the pool in the high 90's