Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New-to-me PF 50 Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New-to-me PF 50 Sand Filter

New pool owner, see sig. Came with old PF 50 sand filter. Only know it's a PF 50 by the appearance and size. Label is illegible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxfixi0w5n...313_174624.jpg

Wondering before/during opening if I should do anything special with the sand filter.
    Should I open it up and look at the sand?
    Hose flush if it looks nasty?
    Replace sand either way?

No clue how long it's been since sand replacement. I do see a bit of sand on the equipment pad, but perhaps that's just from being winterized last fall.

Once it is running, is it OK to add small amounts of DE to a sand filter this old using http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter ?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New-to-me PF 50 Sand Filter

Open it up and take a look ... and flush out the sand too would not hurt.
    Rarely is there ever a need to replace the sand.
    Sure it is fine to add a little DE ... are you sure you need it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

JV,

I know that you didn't ask for it, but I have attached a scan of the manual. It took me a long time to find a copy for my PF-100 since it doesn't seem to be available via Google and it took a few calls to Pentair before I got in touch with someone who knew what I was looking for, and more importantly, had access to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmkem0ymlh...ilter%20OM.pdf

Also, I completely rebuilt mine last year so if you have any questions about how things should go together I should be able to help.

Regards,

Jay
    Last edited by griffths; 04-10-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: attach document
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I had been scouring the web for a month. Guess I should have given them a call.

Thanks so VERY much for hooking me up with a manual!

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Jay,

Thank you for attaching the PF50 manual to dropbox. I just grabbed it.
    I busted the pvc pipe that comes out of the bottom of the PF50.
    So I got a replacement and have installed it. Now I am having a water leak at the bottom.

Since you completely rebuilt yours in 2010 would you mind communicating with me about my problem?

Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by griffths View Post
    JV,

I know that you didn't ask for it, but I have attached a scan of the manual. It took me a long time to find a copy for my PF-100 since it doesn't seem to be available via Google and it took a few calls to Pentair before I got in touch with someone who knew what I was looking for, and more importantly, had access to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmkem0ymlh...ilter%20OM.pdf

Also, I completely rebuilt mine last year so if you have any questions about how things should go together I should be able to help.

Regards,

Jay
    Beachcomber 580, 430 US gal.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jim,

What sort of assistance can I provide? I have a PF-100 which is constructed a little different but am happy to help any way I can.

Jay
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater