Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't buy "Splash-less" Chlorox

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't buy "Splash-less" Chlorox

I figured 'Splash-Less' meant an improved bottle, but the bleach is like a syrup, and causes major foaming in the spa. The label otherwise looks just like the other Chloroxs, says "regular" and "concentrated". When I finally looked, the ingredients say Sodium Hypochlorite and Sodium Hydroxide (no %). It's as if they've added glycol to it but the Chlorox company would only tell me it's not intended for spa use. So I'm back to step one, after being in the TFP groove for several months. At least Chlorox is sending me a refund, of sorts.
    250 gal Cove spa. with ozonator. Northern Vermont. Outdoors but no direct sunlight.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Don't buy "Splash-less" Chlorox

A quick search here would have revealed that you should not use that stuff ... you need the plain bleach, not splashless/outdoor/scented/etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cypress TX

Just plain ol concentrated at 8.25%. Just over $8 for 3 large bottles at Costco.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, that's what I've been using (8.25%) and it works great. My wife just brought home a gallon jug of plain bleach, a no-name brand, so I'm guessing it's half strength, which is why I went looking for Chlorox, regular, concentrated. Now I'm back to using Dichlor until I get the CYA level up to goal.
    250 gal Cove spa. with ozonator. Northern Vermont. Outdoors but no direct sunlight.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, TX

Some of the no-name brands are full strength, some can be under 2%. It SHOULD say on the bottle, but not all of them do.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

See this post for more info. The splash-less and outdoor bleaches have additives that thicken the bleach and in water it causes foaming.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW PA

I accidently bought and used the GV Splashless once. It caused a fair amount of bubbles in my pool but nothing major went haywire. I knew something was wrong as soon as I saw the bubbles forming.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter