Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test readings with TF100 kit

1. Back To Top    #1

First test readings with TF100 kit

New Pool build with new plaster, it's been 7 days since the pool was completely filled and acid start-up. I took a quick pH and Chlorine reading 2 days ago and pH was 8 and Cl was 0. I contacted Mr.PB and he came out to vacuum the pool, added more acid yesterday afternoon and filled the Rainbow in line chlorinator with more pucks.

I took some readings this morning because I was worried about the pH during the curing phase.

Here are the readings.

Cl=0 (Is this normal to have a zero reading for Cl for new plaster?)
    pH=7.2 or 7.5 (It hard for me to tell the diff between the 7.2 and 7.5 orangish colors)
    TA=90
    CH=120
    CYA= I filled the vial all the way to the top and the little black dot on the bottom never disappeared....what am I doing wrong?
    IG Gunite 30k gallons, custom WetEdge finish with glass beads, spa, Pentair 520sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP intelliflow V.S pump, Pentair 400K BTU Heater Master Temp, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo- Model WF-28, Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP, Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump, Rainbow 320, Easy Touch 8, My pool build:http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ypress-TX-Pics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test readings with TF100 kit

The new plaster is not the reason you have zero chlorine. If you have zero CYA, the sun's UV rays will breakdown the chlorine faster than the pucks can dissolve. I know what I would do, but I don't have to worry about my warranty and you do, so call the PB and complain to him. Even if you manually add chlorox, it won't last long until the CYA level rises.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So he filled the Rainbow in line Chlorinator with more pucks yesterday and added some pool stabalizer (CYA) yesterday too. Should this help the Cl levels rise?
    IG Gunite 30k gallons, custom WetEdge finish with glass beads, spa, Pentair 520sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP intelliflow V.S pump, Pentair 400K BTU Heater Master Temp, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo- Model WF-28, Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP, Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump, Rainbow 320, Easy Touch 8, My pool build:http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ypress-TX-Pics

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CCisotope View Post
    So he filled the Rainbow in line Chlorinator with more pucks yesterday and added some pool stabalizer (CYA) yesterday too. Should this help the Cl levels rise?
    Yes. But CYA doesn't dissolve instantly and it can take a week or so before it will show up on a test. So give it a week before you waste any more reagent checking CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!