Started work on my 24" AGP...

Jul 17, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Well, the battle has begun. Placement has been selected and sod has been removed...
IMG_20140410_094847381.jpg

Next step...figure out how to level it. I'm thinking I'll build an easy water level...but have also seen the '2x4' method. :)

Either way will work. I used a long piece of aluminum angle and a nice level and got within a half inch side to side, but probably the water level will be more accurate.....perhaps get it in the ball park with the 2x4 then final check with the water level?

Bob E.

I used a Zircon electronic water level that worked great for one person use. Mounted the one side to a pre-measured height on some 2x4s and marked a line on another replica of that.

I posted in another thread, but should have posted it here. I have a hole I have to fill in...used to be a clothes line pole concreted in, now it's a 2 ft deep fire pit. I need to obviously fill it before i really get going on the pool. Does anyone have any good ideas on how I should fill it to ensure the bottom doesn't drop out later?

The pool is a sharkline 24x48. It was last year's 'last year's' model. Got it for $1700 with all the fixins, including stairs and the like. Seemed like a sweet deal. Probably spend 2x that on materials for the deck. :)

If you could get some crush n run from your friendly neighborhood quarry, that would work well. Some fill dirt would work also. Just have to make sure it is compacted very well. The crush n run would have to be compacted also.

How is your build coming along? Please update... Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I removed the sod a while back, and used it to fill in spots in my yard...all over the yard. That took some time. Then, I made a water-level and realized that, even though the area looked level...it wasn't. It was about 8 inches out across the 26 foot I dug up. And it's shale. Doh!

Here I was digging and rototilling and spent about 2 hours to get that little spot down to where it needed to be:
IMG_20140512_164920409.jpg

So I called a friend...

IMG_20140514_170103378.jpg

...who happened to have a Bobcat. ;-)

IMG_20140514_174635801.jpg

...and now we're level! :)

The eyes are deceiving when it comes to level. It looks good but it's not!

Exactly right. That was revision 2. The windshield washer fluid and a higher hose mount were key...otherwise everytime you moved it, it'd spill out the top. But yet, I drove a stake, bungee corded a board to it, wire tied the hose to the board and then to the tamper, and put them side by side, drew a line with pencil on both, and then filled to that line. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.