newbie drain and refil, now what

Oct 29, 2013
I just moved in to my new house in sept. last year and my cya levels were thru the roof. I decided to wait until spring to do anything, and here i am now. So i am planning to drain my pool out and refill it, then I would like to know what step by step procedures i need to do. I am sure this info is probably posted already, but i can not find it. Please refer me the link if it is, and if not please give me the guide.

Step 1 test everything with one of the recommended test kits

Step 2 post the results here to find out what you need to do next. No way to know until you test.

Really you should test everything before you drain. Sometimes cya goes away over winter.

CYA is certainly too high then, maybe higher than 300, so a major drain is the first step.

Then circulate the refill for at least an hour and retest to see where everything is at. You may need to put some stabilizer back in and certainly need to get some chlorine in the water.

No point in doing anything until the water is replaced.

is there a sign that i look out for while draining to make sure im not going below the water table...a pool guy came out in september and said i dont have no worries about any water table but that was in sept

After you drain/refill you let the water circulate for at least 30 mins and test the water and post the results.

Have you found the pool calculator? There is a link at the bottom of my siggy.

While it is draining I would be going to all of your area stores and find your best deal on bleach/chlorine. It could be Sams or Walmart or .......Mine is the ACE hardware store just up the road. I got lucky!

Make sure you are looking at the % of chlorine in each one as they do tend to vary from brand to brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have finished draining 80% if my pool water..(cya was over 300)..after i add new water i doubt that i need to shock it but just want to clarify....
do i shock the new water?
or once filled
do i bring the ph and TA up to correct levels
then add the chlorine?

I am looking for someone to give me step my step instructions after my pool has been filled with brand new water.
what is the order of adding ingredients?

That or http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Bleach-121-fl-oz/31955545 This is 8%

Lowes sells bleach as does most stores. You can also get it from the local pool store. Most pool stores have 11% bleach/chlorine-make sure to ask.

You know your prices and location and what store will be quick and easy to get to on a regular bases.

I got lucky that I have a ACE Hardware just up the road from me with 11%. It is the cheapest in town and oh so easy!

Kim

While you are waiting for your pool to fill, I would suggest read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you need to develop a good grasp of what you are testing and why you are testing and/or adjusting it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.