Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time posting. Getting ready to open.

1. Back To Top    #1

First time posting. Getting ready to open.

Hey all love the site!

Got my kit tf100 and took my first set of readings.

History - last summer was our first summer with the pool and it was a mess. From cleaning issues to holes in the DE filter grids to spending 2k$ plus on chemicals. We were supposedly in a "chlorine demand" and only these boxes and boxes of "stuff" work fix it yet they couldnt explain how or why...so frustrating and I am not going to put myself in that position again.

So here I am ready to rock!

Pool details -

In ground pool
    40000 Gallons
    Vinyl liner
    36 sq ft de filter
    Location pittsburgh pa
    Solar cover no heater

It is still covered with the winter cover for now. I just want to see what im going to need when I open in the next week or 2.

On my phone will update sig tomorrow.

Readings -

The water sample looked really clear in the quart container I scooped from about 2ft under in the deep end.

CYA - 0 ?? No clue I could see the black dot the entire time. I redid the test 3x to be sure

TA - 150

CH - 275

CL Free - 0

CC - 0

PH - 8.2 ?? This might have been higher but its the highest reading that the kit had.

Thanks guys looking forward to this summer!!

In Ground 35k Gallon
    36 Sq Ft Nautilus NS DE Filter
    Location Pittsburgh PA
    Aquabot Turbo T2 Cleaner
    Vinyl Liner (new in 2016)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time posting. Getting ready to open.

Wwlcome to the forum!

I would wait until the water is circulating and then run another set of tests. At that point with the water well mixed, you can determine what you need.

For now the most important thing you can do is read read read. Pool School, and the forum threads, over and over. The second thing you can do is start sourcing and pricing muriatic acid, bleach, and stabilizer. You don't want to buy it if you don't need it. However, if you do need it, knowing where to get it and what's a good price is extremely valuable information to have.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

First time posting. Getting ready to open.

Welcome to TFP !
    Yes let your water circulate for at least 30 mins always before you test, otherwise the test results be invalid.
    Hope you enjoy the forums.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum and Good Job on choosing the TF-100 . You will be quite pleased with it. As others have suggested, let the water circulate for 30 min before testing.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome!

Thanks for the help and the replies!

Is having a CYA Value of near 0 Bad? That was the one reading that kind of concerned me?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe43 View Post
    Awesome!

Thanks for the help and the replies!

Is having a CYA Value of near 0 Bad? That was the one reading that kind of concerned me?
    CYA is somewhat like "insulation" for your chlorine ..... if you have no CYA you will burn through chlorine so you need to raise it to recommended levels.

But the fact that your reading is 0 at the moment is no big deal .... with the water so cold algae won't grow .... just get some in there
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the reply.

I also just read this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...thod-need-help

Where CharlieR stated that a cold water temp might cause poor readings. Ill make sure to have the water warm before testing again. (Of course after having the filter running for at least 30mins)

Thanks!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Shaffe43, if you haven't yet, get a notebook to record your test results. I not only record test results but also exactly what I put into the pool to correct the results. Might I suggest you do the same.

I had alot of zero CYA results too particularly this year (first year I left the pool up all winter...operational too). After you have let that CYA stuff float around the pool a full week, take another test sample, if it's still zero, I would recommend adding half the amount supposedly required and test say 5-7 days later to make sure it's all mixed in (unless you use the liquid stuff). Love the pool calculator!!

Bob E.

9. Back To Top    #9

Another thing I would add and it's not about testing, buy some stockings.....yes stockings and I'm not joking.....
    wrap the opening of the stockings around the opening of the baskets in the skimmers and place the stockings in the baskets. This will trap a lot of stuff and help avoid a lot of back-washing. I only do this until my water is clear after which I don't use them anymore.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to the forum... I agree with everything that's been stated so far. Your CYA maybe testing low because of water temps, or because your water has circulated all winter. Sometimes people see it go up once they circulate the pump for an hour or so.

By the way, I was in your boat two years ago when we bought a house with a pool. It was only open for about month before we closed it for the winter, but it was a huge PIA in that month and cost a lot of money. Over the winter I found this forum, bought a test kit and had a much better time going forward. Pool ownership is much more fun when you don't have to spend a lot of time or money maintaining it.

Kevin
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

11. Back To Top    #11

Ill add, my CYA was 0 as well. Once pump was running, and I brought water in to room temp, it went to 50. Chemgeek explained it as runoff, snow melt, rain added a layer of water that had no CYA so you cant trust it until circulated.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG