So... acquired this spa with my house purchased last winter.
Spa had been winterized and I didn't feel like opening it when it was 0 degrees around here, especially with no experience doing so. See signature for spa info.
Got all the fittings together and pump plugs installed (had to scrounge up a few new o-rings). Spa does have ozonator but... power wiring from control unit to ozonator was severed, likely when previous owner reinstalled side panel cover. No big deal, I had thought about disconnecting it anyway. Also found that the LED light assembly wires had been severed. Some amateur wiring and now it works again.
Previous owner had been using bromine tabs and Hach test strips. Cleaned spa with chlorine solution. Still some minor discoloration on foam head rest pillows. Will look into that later.
Anyway after rinsing and draining, then filling partially full to flush out antifreeze, then draining then filling full for real. Checked chemistry, water at 55 degrees F:
Really need to bring the TA down so added 4 oz liquid acid, 31.45%. pH quickly back up to 7.6 with all jets running. 2 more oz acid. pH raced back up to 7.6. 2 more oz... 7.6... 2 more oz...
At this point needed to call it a night but didn't want to leave water unsanitized. Added 1 oz CYA, 1 cup 6% bleach.
Checked chemistry after some jet run time, water now at 61 degrees F:
CYA: Did not check but should eventually be about 25-30.
Wanted to keep driving down TA so added 4 oz more of acid and will let circulate overnight while warming to 90 F.
Was it a mistake to sanitize before dialing in TA?