New pool build in Northern Illinois

Sep 3, 2013
Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for posting their information. My husband and I have gotten a ton of ideas from your posts!

Our pool build officially starts today! We are using Platinum Poolcare out of Wheeling, Illinois. They have a reputation for building awesome pools (featured on HGTV's Million Dollar Rooms.) Hope ours turns out as great as some of their others.

Pool Specs:

45x20 Inground Rectagular Shotcrete Pool
Automatic Pool Cover with concrete cantilever cover
3'6 to 9 ft. deep
Waterfall with bench underneath and a Turbo Twister slide
Diving board with a corner step-out for getting out of the water
Tanning ledge at shallow end--big enough for two chaise lounges
Two basketball hoops, and infloor anchors for a volleyball net
6 deck sprayers and 3 in-pool LED lights

The dig starts today! As I am typing this, they are spraying out the layout in my yard. Yesterday, they removed our existing above-ground pool and did yard grading to get the heavy construction equipment in and out of our yard.

After I wrote this, the crew got a good portion of the dig done today and laid gravel on the shallow end. They put up fencing around the site and will be back tomorrow. I have a ton of pictures but I haven't had the chance to organize them yet. Once I do, I will post a link.

Take care--

Kristen in Illinois

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Seems that you are excited to post all the bells and whistles, but not the equipment that actually matters and buyers pay no attention to. :D

Yeah, maybe just a bit! I'm just excited to watch all of the demolition and excavation right now! I am also a girl, and I guess I care more about how pretty and "cool" it looks :D

Some more details about our build:
20x45 ft, 900 sq ft, 33,150 gallonsx

3 Pentair Pumps (Filtration, Waterfall, and Deck Sprayers)
Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter
Raypak natural gas heater
Nature2 and Rainbow Chlorinator
Pentair Intellitouch pool controller
3 Intellibrite LED lights
Polaris 280 pool cleaner
CeramaQuartz Pool Finish in Cool Blue
Aquamatic hydraulic pool cover
Tahitian Gloss Blue Tile with deco tiles every 4 tiles
Turbo Twister slide

Is that a sufficient breakdown of the "guts?" Let me know what I'm missing!

Kristen

- - - Updated - - -

post pics.. I am in southern wisconsin near lake geneva. We are currently building our pool as well. dig is complete/ walls are up and cemented in. plumbing to be done tomorrow.

Howdy, neighbor! Sounds like you are just a little north of us, and you're about a week or so ahead of us in your build. I can be in Lake Geneva in about 20 minutes. Hope we get some nice weather so these projects can get done quickly!

Kristen

Well you should certain nix the nature 2 ... search the forum for why.

Do you also have a booster pump for the cleaner? Your electric meter is going to be spinning.

Hopefully you are at least getting a 2 speed for the filter pump.

Thanks for the pics. I'm a boy and I love watching big diggers work!

A follow-up to the note above about the booster pump required for the Polaris 280. Since you have an autocover (we do to so I can speak from experience) and what looks to be a "clean" local environment (no tall messy trees, etc.) you will not likely need to run the cleaner that much. With my brushing, pushing things towards our main drains, and having the cover closed often, very little dirt accumulates. I tend to run it once every week or two for an hour or two. So not much time to add up to a big electricity bill. That being said, in hindsight, I also be just as happy (maybe happier) with a robot because they are easier. Just plug in and throw in when needed. No water tubing to wind up, no extra pump on the pad, etc. Either way not a big deal though in your situation as I see it.

Sounds like a great setup! Similar pool size/yard size to ours. Yours has a few more bells/whistles. We had to forego some bells/whistles for retaining walls.

Best of luck (but it's not really luck if you watch everything they do and ask a ton of questions).

I also recommend you buy the TF 100 test kit and with speed-stir.

Did you omit a salt system for a particular reason? Best money spent for our pool. As noted above, ditch the Nature 2 and go salt if you can is my thought.

Others will want to know the piping sizes and how it is run regarding the guts. Another not pretty part though! The girl in my house knows our pool is saltwater but little else besides how to open/close the cover and get wet. But that's our arrangement and I'm happy to do/be concerned with the rest.

Thanks for the info! I am excited about the auto-cover and having less maintenance with our new pool than we did with our above-ground and cruddy setup. I think we spent more time working in it than swimming in it. Pretty sure we DO have a booster pump as well, but I will ask as they start dropping off equipment. I will also ask the contractor about why we aren't getting a saltwater generator.

I have no idea on the piping size. The contractors should start the piping/electrical on Friday or Monday. I will post more about it when I see it. I trust the contractor--they are used to doing million dollar pools. Ours is small potatoes for them, even with all of the bells and whistles. The diligence is really clear as I watch them check and re-check measurements. I love watching the whole process, even though I understand only part of it.....and that's okay!

Today, they dug out the "deep end" and laid more gravel throughout. I think I had at least 30 dump trucks in and out collecting dirt and dropping off the gravel. Not quite as dramatic as yesterday's dig, but cool that I can see the whole form now.

I will update with more pics when we get to the next step!

Kristen in Illinois

So they know how to make million dollar pools for people that do not care about electricity for running costs. Others of us want the running and maintenance costs to be as low as possible. Not sure where you fall on that spectrum.

Did you at least read about the nature 2 and get it removed? That thing is just a bad idea that can cause a lot of problems.

Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for posting their information. My husband and I have gotten a ton of ideas from your posts!

Our pool build officially starts today! We are using Platinum Poolcare out of Wheeling, Illinois. They have a reputation for building awesome pools (featured on HGTV's Million Dollar Rooms.) Hope ours turns out as great as some of their others.

Pool Specs:

45x20 Inground Rectagular Shotcrete Pool
Automatic Pool Cover with concrete cantilever cover
3'6 to 9 ft. deep
Waterfall with bench underneath and a Turbo Twister slide
Diving board with a corner step-out for getting out of the water
Tanning ledge at shallow end--big enough for two chaise lounges
Two basketball hoops, and infloor anchors for a volleyball net
6 deck sprayers and 3 in-pool LED lights

The dig starts today! As I am typing this, they are spraying out the layout in my yard. Yesterday, they removed our existing above-ground pool and did yard grading to get the heavy construction equipment in and out of our yard.

After I wrote this, the crew got a good portion of the dig done today and laid gravel on the shallow end. They put up fencing around the site and will be back tomorrow. I have a ton of pictures but I haven't had the chance to organize them yet. Once I do, I will post a link.

Take care--

Kristen in Illinois

WoW , sounds like a resort pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.