Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My TA is 130 however my PH is stable at 7.6 to 7.7

1. Back To Top    #1

My TA is 130 however my PH is stable at 7.6 to 7.7

I am checking it at work in our lab. On a $5000.00 ph machine. Is this possible or am I getting a bad reading on my TA
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.
    Pentair Legend Cleaner. Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp pump. Color LED pool light.
    Taylor K-2006 (FAS-DPD) w/ SpeedStir. Pool Built October 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My TA is 130 however my PH is stable at 7.6 to 7.7

As long as your PH is stable your TA is in a good spot. The TA doesn't have to be in a certain range as long as your PH is stable.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am quite surprised. But maybe there is more to buffering pH that just TA..... maybe someone who knows will jump in with some facts.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

PH increases are very dependent on the amount of aeration. In a simple pool without water features or a SWG the amount of aeration is very low and PH increases due to high TA are minimal, allowing much higher TA levels before you notice anything.

Or more straight forwardly, if you aren't having a problem, don't worry about lowering your TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    PH increases are very dependent on the amount of aeration. In a simple pool without water features or a SWG the amount of aeration is very low and PH increases due to high TA are minimal, allowing much higher TA levels before you notice anything.

Or more straight forwardly, if you aren't having a problem, don't worry about lowering your TA.
    There you have it in layman's term's
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a SWG but after getting CYA to 80 it only runs 50% of the time on a 5hr cycle. My FC was 4 today
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it ok to do the Borax thing with that height if a TA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you can do borates now. I would suggest using boric acid.