Variable speed pump considerations for iAqualink

xeinth

Apr 9, 2014
Texas
All,

I'm looking for some suggestions and thoughts for an existing system I have where I have a pump that seems to be on its way out given the increase in noise over the last few months. Currently I have a hayward two speed which is 2HP, and a smaller 1HP pump which is running the spa and waterfall. For reference:

-I have an aqualink RS system. I recently upgraded the firmware board to allow me to install a wifi controller. I believe that is relevant for variable speed pumps.
-Pool is roughly 23k gallons, SWG
-Simple polaris 280 for cleaning.

My question is largely around how my pump selection may be driven by vendor. I need to do a bit more research to make sure everything is properly sized and validate what is being driven by which pump for flow reasons (I have a smart meter and the large pump is like 4X the power of the smaller feature pump). I know Jandy pumps can be interface into the iAqualink, but obviously there are other great brands. My key questions:

-Can other brands integrate with iAqualink
-If not, what is the impact of having a separate controller? Obviously setting up a simple timer is not a big deal, but if for example the cleaner or SWG needs to turn on the pump I'm not sure if just setting similar times is enough to make sure the systems can work together, or if the Jandy controller really needs to be able to control the pump directly for the other features to work properly.

bk

In general, any pump can be turned on/off by any automation system, but only matching brand pumps and automation systems give you complete control. There are a few exceptions here and there, notably most newer Jandy automation systems can control IntelliFlo pumps. Also, many (but not all) VS pumps can be setup to let any automation system pick one of two speeds (sometimes requiring an adapter to get that to work).

Separate timers are a real drag, and in situations like booster pumps vs main pumps, lack of coordination can (in extreme cases) cause the booster pump to destroy it's self if you don't install additional components (like a current controlled relay) to make sure that doesn't happen. Plus, it is really really nice to have the automation system have complete control over the pump speed, especially for more complex setups.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have a 2 speed pump, why bother replacing it with a VS pump? Is your electricity high enough to warrant the cost of replacing a functioning pump? Are you running it on low speed most of the time and only on high for vacuuming and backwashing?

Jason,

Much thanks for the guidance. Sounds like the intelliflo and epump give me two reasonable options, having better integration is nice. I know the intelliflo is very popular, and some of the jandys have mixed reviews but at least the epump seems to be trustworthy.

Jblizzle,

There are two issues, one is the existing unit is getting very loud, I suspect it will fail soon. Further i just got a smart meter on the house that reports power in 15 minute blocks and this pump is using 4 kW of power. More than its rated for....

This is a great resource. I'm an engineer by trade and if ever there needs to be new tech blown into an industry these guys could use it. Not a lot of automation without a good amount of research ;)

X

There is no way it is using that much power on low speed ... which you should be using almost exclusively.

You're right. I checked and it is a single speed. Still seems like crazy power but this power measurement is coming from the power company and you can see a 4kw power bump that aligns perfectly with the pump schedule.

It could be as low as 3.5kw depending on the base load, but it's pretty easy to see the before and after.

Bk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.