Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: How long do you expect your pool to last before being filled in or majorly renovated?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 5 years

1 2.04%
  • 5 to 10 years

0 0%
  • 10 to 20 years

7 14.29%
  • 20-30 years

23 46.94%
  • more than 30 years

11 22.45%
  • I have not given it any thought

7 14.29%

Thread: Pool Life expectency poll?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Life expectency poll?

For those of you that are considering building an inground pool, or have recently built one, I was wondering how long you expect your pool to last before being filled in or majorly renovated (not just maintenance items like vinyl liners or new plaster)?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Life expectency poll?

I would expect at LEAST 15 years out of mine! At least that's what the PB promises since we got a pebble finish on the inside of the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, mine is nearly 40 years old at this point ... we re-plastered and tiled. I can not imagine why it would suddenly catastrophically fail now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason, mine is 35, and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, but I know a lot of pools in this area that were there when mine was built, or even newer are long gone today.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe our pool to be about 40 years old and undergoing its first renovation now. However, based on the condition when I bought it, it was probably due for a renovation about 10 years ago - cracked concrete and coping, painted plaster and tiles falling off. So to keep it looking good and not like it's a pit of deferred maintenance, I'd bet in 30 years it will need another renovation (and re-plastering in the interim, of course).
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

6. Back To Top    #6

We recently did the first major renovation of our pool, which was built 45 to 50 years ago. We could have gotten by with just a new liner, but we wanted a nicer look and lower maintenance equipment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess this does kind of depend on what you define as "major renovation" and what is "normal maintenance". I have only been in the house for 5 years and at some point before me the filter and pump were replaced. I replaced the pump again with a 2-speed and added automation, SWG, and solar. Added auto-fill, replaced skimmer, re-plaster and tile, and re-coated deck. So, I have put a good chunk of change into it over time, which may make it a "major renovation"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

For major renovation I was thinking anything that requires earth moving equipment, jack hammers, or any expense comparable to the construction cost of a pool, etc.

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine turns 1 next month and still going strong : )
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine is 45ish and is in need of major renovations but it still holds water.
    45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration
    Sand filter with 3/4 hp AO Smith pump. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't vote, but this is my 2nd pool season with a roughly 25 year old pool. They started a "normal' facelift (nothing fancy, plaster, some decking work) this week. In fact, it is the first re-plaster of the pool. I can tell because the original stamp from the original pool builder was still showing. Knock on some serious amounts of wood, but the reason I bought this house is the 20 year old pool without a crack in it. It appears to the pros to be as solid as a rock. We had a bunch of small earthquakes in our area before the new year, and I was very nervous, but it handled those with no problems.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I am the one who selected 5 years as mine is just an above ground...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I guess my answer would depend on your definition of major remodel. IMO replaster is a major remodel...If it wasn't for that I'd say >30 yrs.

Father in laws pool was ~50yrs old when we sold his house. It needed a new sand filter, and could have used a new plaster job (some stains...but heck he drained it all winter every year.) I'm hoping mine lasts as well as his.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a 50 + year old concrete pool, that is 20x44. In my last 15 years of ownership, I have repaired cracks, built new steps, sandblasted the surface, replaced skimmers once, resealed bottom drain, replaced filter and pump twice, created new lines from skimmers to pool room, replaced tile border two times.

I am now repairing two leaks at the base of the skimmer and under the surface of the shallow end.

Beautiful pool.... Worth every penny and all the effort to keep it up-to-date.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lucy
    40K gal, painted plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 48, Hayward Super Pump 2 HP, Hayward H-Series-250, 50 years old, 3-month swimming season

15. Back To Top    #15

I think what brings down a pool in terms of it getting filled in and abandoned is poetical like if a new owner has small kids or doesn't want to take care of a pool.

My question is would anyone count a pool that was built in the 1950's was used for 20 years with water in it and then filled in the 1970's. But then re dug out and cleaned up would that in turn make it a 60 year old pool?

My current plans are to build a large 10,000 gallon to 70,000 gallon cement fish tank in a steal building with a planned life span of 20 to 30 years. But this is not out of the question in that a lot of large fish tanks like a 20,000 gallon saltwater and 50,000 freshwater tank that were home built are turning 10 and 21 years old. One of my giant fish tank plans even has me buying a house with a abondoned swimming pool and gutting it and building a new cement wall with viewing windows for the fish tank.