Intex 14' Ultra Frame Equipment SWG Upgrade and Passive Heating

Sep 6, 2013
I am about to set up my first AGP and have been lurking for a while in the forums. I need help sorting out all my confusion over upgrading the simple filter that comes with the pool to a SWG. There are a bunch of different versions you can buy, like an all in one or I can get a SWG and use the original filter but everyone seems to like the upgraded sand one. I just don't know which one to get and why.

Also, I'm a tinker-er and am planning on setting up some point in the future passive water heater. I'm not worried about the temp in the middle of a North Texas summer, but I want to extend the pool season before summer starts. I assume this will affect the size pump and filter from my confusion above.

Any help, suggestions, digs, and general comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

For your 14' Intex, you could go with the 16" sand filter, and buy the SWG separately. There have been many reports here and elsewhere of the all in one units failing. If the SWG side fails, the pump quits working as well. With the separate units, you at least have the pump to keep things going while you replace the SWG.

As far as the passive heater, the pump and filter should be able to handle it. Since this is the way you want to go, it is best that you buy the separate pump/filter and SWG, as the SWG needs to be closest to the pool in term of flow.

I have an intex and I'm building a liquid chlorinator.... SWG is awesome for about 2-3 years, then things inevitably go wrong with them.... Cells are expensive to replace and salt can eat through almost anything..... But they can be the easiest way to take care of a pool... I just like bleach as its so darn cheap.... :)

I had the SWG Intex thing for a couple of years and honestly, you will still need to test and add bleach anyway to fine tune levels based on sun and usage. If you haven't bought the SWG, may I recommend you not buy it, just get some bleach and go with that. Since I have gone strictly BBB, I have the best looking pool ever. Ok, the salt was eating my now not salt recommended heater to much......I really haven't missed the SWG at all.

If you get the 2600gph (I believe) filter pump, that will be more than enough to filter the pool and pump extra hose/piping for solar heat. Hard plumbing will only improve flow from the Intex pumps. If you haven't discovered Unicell filters, then you owe yourself a couple......get them from Amazon for the best price. Better filtering and better flow and you can rinse them out and reuse a whole season if you like....

Bob E.

Everything that SAfetybob ^ said is spot on (expect I know nothing about Unicell filters). I used the SWG on my Intex pools. I purchased a new pool and have been using bleach for about a month now and it is not a big deal. As a matter of fact, I have been better about controlling the chlorine levels by adding bleach than I ever was with the SWG. I never did get the run time right. And yes, in my experience, the salt, even with the lower levels, eats right through the Intex metal.

I use Unicel filter carts, as noted in my sig line. This is the 3rd season for my carts, and only the first one I bought to try out has shown signs of needing replacement.

I bought extras last year, so I could have a couple soaking in cleaner. Cleaning solution=TSP or Dishwasher powder, Bleach, and Water. Instructions are included with every filter you buy.

Make sure that they are genuine, not "replacement for" in the sales listing.

Here's my 14' setup from last year.
smallP1000842.jpg

smallP1000843.jpg

smallP1000844.jpg

smallP1000846.jpg

smallP1000847.jpg

smallP1000848.jpg

smallP1000849.jpg

The pics make it enticing. I'm getting fence bids now (been on my list to upgrade from the chain link standard of my 1960s neighborhood). I want to set it all up now, but safety first. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.