Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pressure gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

pressure gauge

oops left my hayward pressure guage connected to the filter top all winter.
    it shows 40 psi with no water hooked up yet gezzzzz

time for a new one ?
    24' 13,500 gal round AG 06/01/2012
    hayward 1.5 dream line sand filter
    TF 100 !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pressure gauge

Yup. Check out the liquid filled ones at tftestkits.net ... I just got one and it is much easier to read.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep.

Check at a farm store. You can often find bigger gauges that are higher quality and cost less. Just make sure it is a 0-60PSI gauge.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Just make sure it is a 0-60PSI gauge.
    I don't think I agree with this 100% ... my pressure never gets over 20psi, so I prefer the 0-30 gauge I just got. I would think that most pools do not go over 30psi, although there are some with large pumps and in-floor systems that do and would require a 0-60 gauge.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I don't think I agree with this 100% ... my pressure never gets over 20psi, so I prefer the 0-30 gauge I just got. I would think that most pools do not go over 30psi, although there are some with large pumps and in-floor systems that do and would require a 0-60 gauge.
    I've never seen a 0-30 gauge in a farm store though. Most are 0-120. 0-60 works fine since 18-20psi is about a third of the scale.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Do I need a liquid filled gauge or do they just perform that much better? I have a 0-30 non-filled gauge I was planning on using.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

supposedly the liquid filled last longer and maybe more consistent(?)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I got a 0-30 liquid gauge and liked it enough to start carrying them at TFTestkits.

They are 2.5" in dia. so quite a bit bigger than standard on a pool filter and the gradations are much wider and easier to read.

There big advantage is they will not freeze down to around -20 F. That's more than I'll ever see so I am able to leave my gauge attached all winter.

At 10-11 dollars, they are not a steal UNLESS you were ordering chemistry anyway......that makes the shipping essentially free.

So, do you need one? Absolutely not but they are obviously nicer than the air-filled and noticeably easier to read.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for the repies just got a $7 dollar replacement at pool store

and thanks to every one here i converted fm baqua last spring when i opened to a murky pool

opened friday to cristal clear water tests were perfict !!!!
    24' 13,500 gal round AG 06/01/2012
    hayward 1.5 dream line sand filter
    TF 100 !

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I got a 0-30 liquid gauge and liked it enough to start carrying them at TFTestkits.

They are 2.5" in dia. so quite a bit bigger than standard on a pool filter and the gradations are much wider and easier to read.

There big advantage is they will not freeze down to around -20 F. That's more than I'll ever see so I am able to leave my gauge attached all winter.

At 10-11 dollars, they are not a steal UNLESS you were ordering chemistry anyway......that makes the shipping essentially free.

So, do you need one? Absolutely not but they are obviously nicer than the air-filled and noticeably easier to read.
    Dave - is the one on TFTestkits.com made of stainless steel? And is it made in the USA?
    14,000 gals; IG gunite - Wet Edge Primera Stone finish; Sta-Rite/Pentair Intelliflo variable speed; Sta-Rite/Pentair system3 S7M400 cartrige; Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater; (Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator- for vacation use only); built-in automatic pool cover; Trident II UV system (on recall not currently used); built 10/31/2012; TFT-100; MX8 cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine didn't make it through the winter, either. This is what I replaced it with.... an oil filled gage of appropriate capacity and a method to remove it from the system when not in use and/or drain it.....

JPEG-0746.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

I just received the one from TFTestkits.net and it is stainless steel. Feels far superior to my original Pentair that was plastic, only lasted 8 months, and cost $27 to replace from Amazon. And it is really easy to read from a distance. Love it
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir