You're Right! I Need A Timer!!

Beens

TFP Expert
Jul 22, 2013
Virginia Beach, Va
Hello Experts!

I am in need of some suggestions for a timer for my pump. I posted in another thread about the fact that my pump runs 24/7 (Just to assure someone who is currently SLAMming that their 6 day 24/7 usage isn't going to hurt the pump!) I don't want to hijack their thread so here I go!

Yes, I admit. I've been lazy. I plugged it in last spring. There it has stayed all spring, summer, fall and winter. Here we are in April and that poor pump is still pumping!

Main fear: Less run time = green water.

Unrealistic fear, I know but since I was too scared or lazy to figure it out I just kept it on. Better safe than sorry? Not really. More like crazy overkill. :crazy:

I sure wouldn't mind seeing my electric bill go down a little.

My pool/pump/filter info is in my signature.

This is the first year I left the pool up and actually kept track of it all year. It is perfectly clear and only has a leaf cover on it.

I was also too "scared" to try to close it and not look at it all winter. :oops:

I didn't mind having it there to look at this winter and if I can waste the money (I mean afford) to keep the pump running 24/7 all year I can certainly plan to run it with a timer during the swim season and even less run time during the winter!

BTW I don't know if this makes a difference, or how other intex people do it...but since this is not a "permanent" pool there *is* an extension cord involved. Just a very quick search and it looked like you just plug the pump into the timer and the timer into the power source so I guess that's not an issue?

Since I will probably keep it "open" through the winter again this year do I need some sort of freeze protection? Is that built in to a timer or a separate piece to add? It doesn't get normally stay *that* cold here for long periods of time but after this past winter who the heck knows!?

I have a few plans for changes this year so I should add this timer to my to do list! Main change this year = get rid of intex plunger valves!

So...what do you all suggest? Oh yeah, although my mega $$$ wasting with electricity might say otherwise, I would like to not spend too much on a timer. (Yeah, I know. :hammer: Could have fooled you!)

Oh yeah, although my mega $$$ wasting with electricity might say otherwise, I would like to not spend too much on a timer. (Yeah, I know. :hammer: Could have fooled you!)

This is funny right there!!

Can you take a picture of your equipment pad and post it? You are likely going to need a timer that will have to be hardwired in. Most of the temporary timers aren't going to be rated high enough for your pump.

:( equipment pad! Hah! I suppose you could call it that... It's more like a pump and a filter sitting next to a dirt pile with an extension cord hanging off the fence...

Was going to add "neaten up pool pump area" to my to do list this year...I might be too embarrassed to post a pic of that..:oops:

Is there a "ghetto" emoticon? lol

Amazon sells several 15 amp outdoor plugin timers that may work for you. I have a HB800 Intermatic that I've had for several years that works well. I will say that it's a bear to program sometimes. They also have the 1121 which is a very simple timer.

What is the amp rating listed on the motor? (I can not quickly find it online) That is the minimum you would need a plug-in timer to be able to handle which could be more tricky to find than the hardwired kind.

Photobucket seems to work the most straightforward ... Flickr has become very non-user friendly.

Just copy the "Direct Link" from the right of the picture page and paste it into the pop-up when you click the little picture icon in the forum.

It's time for work so I guess I'll figure out pics tomorrow. If I'm lazy enough to put off getting a timer and run my pump 24/7 for a year, how long do you think it will take me to use a different photo sharing site? haha

Is there a procrastination prize here? I'd like to nominate myself.

Unrelated side note... Bradford Pear trees have no place being anywhere near a pool. I hate that freaking tree!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beens, you are awesome! I can't help you in any way but I do appreciate the laughs!

Thanks! There's one thing you can do though....trade houses with me!

The main reason I have let myself procrastinate so badly with most things pool is because I plan to move to the Orlando area sooner than later. I don't want to make the pool too permanent because I'm sure someday when we decide to sell the house a real estate agent will tell us to take down the pool. So I keep doing stuff at a snail's pace because I'd rather be moving! Hopefully to a house that already has a lovely in ground pool with a "birdcage" as I have heard them called down there.

Ahhh....dreams. Back to my lunch break...

HUZZAH!

I have conquered the img gremlins and embedded my photo! Take that!

This has nothing to do with my thread except my side note about the Bradford Pear tree and it's evil ways.

Just showing the mess from 24 hrs. That middle pic is some of the lovely petals I scooped out with my new deep net leaf skimmer thing. (Love it!)
I decided to take the net off to attempt to let the skimmer get some of the billions of lovely poppy seed looking things that the tree has lovingly deposited in the pool.

I definitely need to get rid of the plungers. I think i'll try looking in lowes today to see if they have anything that will fit. The suction side is so constricted that if anything gets in there (it's happened from blind vacuuming in the past) it actually sucks the poor hose flat!

I bet all you other intex owners are jealous of my lovely sea creature print!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.