Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: You're Right! I Need A Timer!!

1. Back To Top    #1

You're Right! I Need A Timer!!

Hello Experts!

I am in need of some suggestions for a timer for my pump. I posted in another thread about the fact that my pump runs 24/7 (Just to assure someone who is currently SLAMming that their 6 day 24/7 usage isn't going to hurt the pump!) I don't want to hijack their thread so here I go!

Yes, I admit. I've been lazy. I plugged it in last spring. There it has stayed all spring, summer, fall and winter. Here we are in April and that poor pump is still pumping!

Main fear: Less run time = green water.

Unrealistic fear, I know but since I was too scared or lazy to figure it out I just kept it on. Better safe than sorry? Not really. More like crazy overkill.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing my electric bill go down a little.

My pool/pump/filter info is in my signature.

This is the first year I left the pool up and actually kept track of it all year. It is perfectly clear and only has a leaf cover on it.

I was also too "scared" to try to close it and not look at it all winter.

I didn't mind having it there to look at this winter and if I can waste the money (I mean afford) to keep the pump running 24/7 all year I can certainly plan to run it with a timer during the swim season and even less run time during the winter!

BTW I don't know if this makes a difference, or how other intex people do it...but since this is not a "permanent" pool there *is* an extension cord involved. Just a very quick search and it looked like you just plug the pump into the timer and the timer into the power source so I guess that's not an issue?

Since I will probably keep it "open" through the winter again this year do I need some sort of freeze protection? Is that built in to a timer or a separate piece to add? It doesn't get normally stay *that* cold here for long periods of time but after this past winter who the heck knows!?

I have a few plans for changes this year so I should add this timer to my to do list! Main change this year = get rid of intex plunger valves!

So...what do you all suggest? Oh yeah, although my mega $$$ wasting with electricity might say otherwise, I would like to not spend too much on a timer. (Yeah, I know. Could have fooled you!)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You're Right! I Need A Timer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    Oh yeah, although my mega $$$ wasting with electricity might say otherwise, I would like to not spend too much on a timer. (Yeah, I know. Could have fooled you!)
    This is funny right there!!

Can you take a picture of your equipment pad and post it? You are likely going to need a timer that will have to be hardwired in. Most of the temporary timers aren't going to be rated high enough for your pump.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

equipment pad! Hah! I suppose you could call it that... It's more like a pump and a filter sitting next to a dirt pile with an extension cord hanging off the fence...

Was going to add "neaten up pool pump area" to my to do list this year...I might be too embarrassed to post a pic of that..

Is there a "ghetto" emoticon? lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Amazon sells several 15 amp outdoor plugin timers that may work for you. I have a HB800 Intermatic that I've had for several years that works well. I will say that it's a bear to program sometimes. They also have the 1121 which is a very simple timer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the amp rating listed on the motor? (I can not quickly find it online) That is the minimum you would need a plug-in timer to be able to handle which could be more tricky to find than the hardwired kind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Trying to upload the pic but it says it exceeds the limit although it does not.

7. Back To Top    #7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gwej6itd5...2011.50.06.jpg

Lame non embedded picture. I'll go back outside and look for the amps.

Volts 115 Amps 11.0 ?

I WILL figure out how to get my pics to show here again!

*edit*
    Apparently it does not recognize links from dropbox as as "valid images". Of course I would choose the only place to store pics that I can't make them show in my posts!

8. Back To Top    #8

Photobucket seems to work the most straightforward ... Flickr has become very non-user friendly.

Just copy the "Direct Link" from the right of the picture page and paste it into the pop-up when you click the little picture icon in the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    Apparently it does not recognize links from dropbox as as "valid images". Of course I would choose the only place to store pics that I can't make them show in my posts!
    I uploaded my pic yesterday from Tinypic.com -worked a charm! Try that.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

It's time for work so I guess I'll figure out pics tomorrow. If I'm lazy enough to put off getting a timer and run my pump 24/7 for a year, how long do you think it will take me to use a different photo sharing site? haha

Is there a procrastination prize here? I'd like to nominate myself.

Unrelated side note... Bradford Pear trees have no place being anywhere near a pool. I hate that freaking tree!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Beens, you are awesome! I can't help you in any way but I do appreciate the laughs!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    Beens, you are awesome! I can't help you in any way but I do appreciate the laughs!
    Thanks! There's one thing you can do though....trade houses with me!

The main reason I have let myself procrastinate so badly with most things pool is because I plan to move to the Orlando area sooner than later. I don't want to make the pool too permanent because I'm sure someday when we decide to sell the house a real estate agent will tell us to take down the pool. So I keep doing stuff at a snail's pace because I'd rather be moving! Hopefully to a house that already has a lovely in ground pool with a "birdcage" as I have heard them called down there.

Ahhh....dreams. Back to my lunch break...

13. Back To Top    #13

"Bird Cage" I take it that means an enclosed inground pool ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

It's the big screen enclosure. Wish I had one now. That stupid Bradford Pear snowing into my pool! Thank God I found out about the leaf cover!

15. Back To Top    #15

Speaking of Bradfords, my neighbor has a bunch, plus the Plum tree in the front yard. I don't want to remember how long I spent this year getting those darn white flowers out of my nice clean water

Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

HUZZAH!

I have conquered the img gremlins and embedded my photo! Take that!

This has nothing to do with my thread except my side note about the Bradford Pear tree and it's evil ways.

Just showing the mess from 24 hrs. That middle pic is some of the lovely petals I scooped out with my new deep net leaf skimmer thing. (Love it!)
    I decided to take the net off to attempt to let the skimmer get some of the billions of lovely poppy seed looking things that the tree has lovingly deposited in the pool.

I definitely need to get rid of the plungers. I think i'll try looking in lowes today to see if they have anything that will fit. The suction side is so constricted that if anything gets in there (it's happened from blind vacuuming in the past) it actually sucks the poor hose flat!

I bet all you other intex owners are jealous of my lovely sea creature print!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Is there a "ghetto" emoticon? lol[/QUOTE]

You crack me up! We just took down our "ghetto" pool before we started our build. I had it rigged pretty fancy as well. Lol.

35,000 gallon, IG pebble finish, cartridge filter, Pentair variable speed pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner, Spa, Slide and waterfall, construction complete June 1, 2014, TF-100 test kit, pool filled with Central Texas well water(very hard water)