How do I raise FC in a salt pool?

Angnjam

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Southern California
My free chlorine level is ranging from 1 to 1.5. To raise it is it best to use liquid chlorine or add salt to the pool? I have a swg and couldn't find if I could raise it with salt or if I could use liquid chlorine to raise it since I have a salt pool.

Also, my CH is 150. Where is the best place to get affordable product for that? Can I use ice melt from Home Depot? Also, I don't think there was ever any Calcium chloride increaser ever added since it opened a month ago or so. It seems like the pool math amount it a lot to add and I don't want to add too much of anything , so as to make me drain some water to fix it.

My CYA is only 25-30 and my water is starting to get cloudy. I feel like my start-up guy may not have added near enough cya in the beginning because he said I wouldn't have to add any more for about 4 months. I am really supposed to ad 44 lbs of this stuff? It's hard to find it in any quantity larger than 4 lbs and it is expensive in smaller quantities it seems.

My TA is 130. I added about a half gallon of MA To lower it a couple days ago, and then ran our waterfall but I haven't tested it again. I will do that today.

I'm starting to understand what the terms mean and purposes of chemicals are after dreading pool school about a half dozen times. I am a little slower than I thought I was :-/. Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

One last question while I'm thinking about it? How long and often should I run The PoolCleaner (suction)? Does it rotate the water through the pool as effectively as through the skimmer? Because I am needing to turn my valve to complete suction line in order for me to get 11-13 rotations per minute on my right wheel of the cleaner as the manufacturer suggest it do to be effective. I feel that if I leave it vacuuming for long periods of time I won't be cycling my water as well as I would through the skimmer. Is that true..

Adding salt does not add FC. Add bleach to the pool to add FC. You can also add CalHypo if you want to help bring up FC and CH at the same time. Just make sure if you follow this method that you know the effects of what adding the CalHypo will have. Pool Calc will help with this.

Before I post comments to cloudy water, what is your current pH? Please also post your current salt level, and note if your SWG is saying you have high or low salt.

Generally, to raise FC in a saltwater-chlorine-generator-equipped pool, you increase the runtime percentrage on the SWG. It's essentially no different than raising the raising the volume on a radio. I just hunted up the manual for your SWG online and it appears you just push the "more" button. How many LEDS are lit?

However... you're reporting cloudy water. That screams impending algae bloom. Maybe your SWG is already maxed out and it's just barely keeping up with the demand the algae has? A SWG can't generate enough FC fast enough to SLAM a pool, so you'll need some alternate source od chlorine.

Where did you get those test results? Do you have one of the recommended test kits? You'll need one to perform the SLAM process, and to accurately test the CYA level so you know how high to targetfor FC. You might be able to use different powdered forms of chlorine for part of the SLAM process, because you could use some of the side effects to good advantage, but if the test results are the slightest bit iffy, you're better off using bleach.

The pool cleaner will do a fine job mixing the pool water and ensuring it gets cycled through the filter. It won't do anything to get the leaves, pollen, or dead bugs that fall in the pool off the surface. That's what the skimmer does.

Thanks. My current PH is 7.8. And my salt is 3200 ppm and it is not saying I am high or low. And I am using the TFTest Kit 100 and salt test kit with the speed-stir.
In that case, you're all set!

You have the test kit and your CYA is just about perfect to perform the SLAM.

I'd lower pH to 7.2 using acid, since you won't be able to test or adjust it during the SLAM, and then start pouring jugs of bleach in! You could leave the SWG on, but remember to shut it off when you try to do the OCLT. Instructions are all in HERE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.