Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Putting CYA in dolphin floater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Putting CYA in dolphin floater?

Hi
    I am really fighting with getting CYA to dissolve in my 45 degree water. I have tried the sock in skimmer approach but I am only pumping about 4 hours a day and this is going nowhere. Has anyone tried to put the sock in a tablet floater and just let it sit? Any concerns if that floater gets stuck in a corner and the low ph discharge to the vinyl if I tried this approach?

Thanks !
    16 X 32 wooden frame with aluminum braces in ground pool. 3.6ft shallow end, 8.5ft deep end. 22,000 gallons. Pool constructed in 1976 in Chicago area. Mechanics: 1HP hayward super pump, Jaccuzi sand filter, Hayward SWG, and Raypak 2100 heater. No main drain (capped years ago) 3 jets, 1 skimmer. Liner replaced May 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Putting CYA in dolphin floater?

Try putting it in a sock and hang it in front of a return with pump running till it's dissolved. If you do put it in the skimmer again make sure to let your pump run till it's all dissolved.
    I know it dissolves slower with the colder water temp.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

The 4 hours a day is your problem. You should let the pump run for a solid 24 hours even "after" it is dissolved.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't do the tablet floater. It will take forever to dissolve that way. And I would be concerned about damage to the liner if it settled in a corner. The way I did it was to put it in a sock in the skimmer and let the pump run 24 hrs per day. Every so often I would squeeze the sock. Even so it took a couple of days for 7 lbs of CYA to dissolve. I tried in front of a return, but it seemed that some was settling to the bottom of the pool, so the skimmer worked better for me.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. I will just have to be patient
    16 X 32 wooden frame with aluminum braces in ground pool. 3.6ft shallow end, 8.5ft deep end. 22,000 gallons. Pool constructed in 1976 in Chicago area. Mechanics: 1HP hayward super pump, Jaccuzi sand filter, Hayward SWG, and Raypak 2100 heater. No main drain (capped years ago) 3 jets, 1 skimmer. Liner replaced May 2013.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. POP. Pool owner patience !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.