TA

Help

My pool is 19500 gals
    FC 5.8
    Temp 20 C
    Ph 7.7
    CYA 75
    TA 0

Is this right it was at 25 2 weeks ago. Can the ta be at zero, I have tested this twice and got the same result. Can anyone help me with the this. All advice welcome.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA

Hey Bof,

Just covering the simple stuff here, did you add acid since the last test?

Are your sure the pH is correct? Usually, a higher TA would be expected at a 7.7 pH.

Did the test turn red immediately when you first started to titrate with the final reagent?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

It's hard to give advice to you, since I know the preferred test kits and chemicals are not readily available cheaply in Europe.

If you've been chlorinating with dichlor or trichlor powdered chlorine, then it's very possible your TA has dropped that low. They are both acidic. You should have added baking soda when TA was at 25 - that's way too low. Your surface may be tile, but the grout can still be weakened by etching, so you should consider it a plaster pool. .
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not possible to have a TA of zero with a pH of 7.7 and a cya of 75.. The test titrates down to a pH of 4.5 to get to zero TA. Your tests are probably not accurate. How are you testing?

It's theoretically possible to have a very low TA and a pH of 7.7. For example, distilled water with a little hydroxide to raise the ph. In that case, there is no alkalinity to buffer the ph change, but the hydroxide would measure as TA in the titration test.

In your case, your cya of 75 would contribute about 25 ppm TA at a pH of 7.7.

Also note that whatever brought down the TA would have brought down the pH. Even if you had a lot of aeration, the pH would not go up. In fact, once you pass the equilibrium point with CO2, aeration will lower the pH.

Have you ever used bromine or bromide salt?

Have you ever used a hydroxide base, like sodium hydroxide, to raise the pH?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi all
    Sorry about my delay in replying I am using a Scuba 2 digital tester. I have found that occasionally my results are way off, but I do not know why. I have checked my results with a friend who has a great test kit, and the results are similar. I have decided that when the results are way off to clean everything go have a cup of tea and start again.
    Tests today
    Temp 22 c
    Fc 3.4
    pH 7.9
    TA 116
    Cya 76

I am now going to add chemicals. Thanks for your help.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

6. Back To Top    #6

And this is why we do not like to trust digital testers.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Indeed, digital testing equipment that is reliable is far too expensive to be practical for the average pool owner, and quite unwarranted. Simple titrations are more than adequate, and very dependable.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem