Trying to plan out Adding Deck Jets (if it will work)

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Hi folks... I have been reading and enjoying everyone's pic's for a while now... I have decided I want to do my first of many upgrades to my pool. I am second owner unfortunately so many things I wish I had a say in I didn't... and it is what it is... Like no sumps so I don't open to water under the liner ever year :( . Anyway... I want to add Deck Jets... but I have a bunch of concrete in the way... I do however have a retaining wall I think I can get away with using. Please let me know what you think.

I would like to tie into my return line to a manifold something like this: (Hope its OK to use someone else's pic's))

And run 4 jets to my retaining wall that looks like this:

And just have the jets shoot into the water... I could do 2, 3 or 4 jets I think... not sure what would look cool... 2 jets and a fan in the middle? Anyway..

Thoughts are to dig a trench (not sure how deep) from the pad to the locations on the wall, then run the lines and have the jets just above the ground where they can make it over the wall ok to get to the water.... the fill it all in and use the valves on the 4 lines to tweak the pressure tot he jets.

My current setup (I haven't cleaned the pad yet (so sorry its so messy).

I am taking the puck canister out this weekend, I never use it. And if I ever needed to use the pucks for some reason I can till drop in the skimmer.

I was planning on getting the Jandy jets:
726198-1_9.jpg

And for pipe I was thinking 1 1/2 (everything is 1 1/2 except the slide) to the wall then 3/4 up to the jet??? Or is it 1 1/2 to the manifold (including manifold), then 3/4 for each run all the way to the jet?

let me know your thoughts...

Also are the regular ball valves ok to use or should I use some Jandy Never Lube valves? Was looking at Jandy VS Pentair... If ball valve is all I need I will save a lot by going that route. the Never lube valve is like 48 bucks each... and I need at least 4.

I know that the Never Lube valves are expensive, but IMO they are worth it. I have one even on my above ground equipment (along with one Jandy check valve). Ball Valves get brittle in the sun so that handle will crack right off one time when you try to turn it. Then you'll have to bring a wrench with you every time you want to turn it. The Never Lubes are made for "abuse" in the sun; they are practically indestructible and always stay easy to turn.

As soon as I have a good feeling that it will work... I will order up the parts... The jets and the valves anyway. The pipe can be picked up at the local hardware store. So far I see most folks are doing 1.5 from the pad tot he manifold, and here is where it gets tricky, some do 3/4 from the manifold to the jet, and some do 1.5 from the manifold to where the jet will be and then up to the jet with 3/4. I'm still sorting this out... But as it is I need a way to find out if it will reach the water... some folks said there jets were able to shoot 15 feet or more... but not sure what that looks like... I mean is it spraying all over the deck due to the distance, or is it uniform till it reaches the water... If anyone reads this that has their Jets spraying a good distance, let me know what it looks like (pics :) )

Just trying to be smart...

I've installed lots of these jandy deck jets and they do work awesome. The way Jandy recommended doing them is 3/4 inch to 1' inch pipe out of the jet ran half way to the manifold. Then step it up to 1 1/2 the rest of the way to the manifold. 9' won't be a problem to hit the pool the other 2 might just make it. I know on the last ones I did there were 4 of them and with the pool returns on and the four jets going on a 1hp pump they would shoot about 10' in the air. With the returns off they would do about 12-13', and with the returns and 2 of the four deck jets off it would shoot about 18'. Interesting idea you have though I'd be interested in seeing how it looks.

Wonder if I would be better off doing just two at the middle part of the wall... or if I can get all 4 to work... It sounds like I will be close on the sides... Or I could do all 4 in the middle and fan them out to the pool.

I need to look at some pic's....

I guess the other thing is my pump is not as nice as what you folks have:

thoughts? I am not interested in upgrading the pump to run the jets right now, but I could still do the install and just turn on the ones that will work till I do??

what do you guys think? 1.5 to manifold (like above) 4 1.5 valves at the manifold that have 4 1.5 pipes running off that go to the wall to an elbo that changes it to 3/4 up to the top of the wall where it meets the jet to spray to the pool.

will the pump work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I am going to just have to buy the stuff and cross my fingers? I cant seem to figure out if my pump will do the job... will be a bummer to do all the work and it doesn't make it to the pool.

any way you folks willing to give me some opinions? What might look best in these pic's (sorry for the drawing)

Pool layout:

Notice that I have table and chairs in the back corners, one of the diagrams show the jet firing over them... wondering if it would be bad placement due to the table? But I plan to include a valve on each line so I could shut them off.

Choices:

Any help would be cool... I guess I am going to pick up the replacement Jandy jet heads (no body) - I was torn between the brass and the plastic... And I will get 4 Pentair or Jandy 1.5 valves... the rest will all be PVC I will get local.

Still need to figure out how deep to dig, and is I need to use anything other than dirt to fill once I have the lines in (sand rock or whatever) I don't think they used anything other than dirt when they put my pvc in the ground...

Also should I have a check valve on my pump equipment? any advice there would be cool too... The 4 in the middle might be best.. I don't know... I like them all really... help a guy out. cant decide.

I like the 4 jets together and fanning out into the pool like your 3rd drawing (second drawing with the jets shown). Then you'd kinda be sliding down the slide under them which would be cool.

I start digging today... Thanks to the plumbing thread I had some help on the design, I have all my valves (7 2 way and 2 3 way Jandy Never Lube) I need to start digging and today is a good day to get it going.

Here is my diagram, lets see how close I can get to this... going to try:

I will post pics of the digging... ground is not hard, so shouldn't be too bad... but I also don't plan to get it all done today...

I still haven't seen the deck jets??? I checked the site, and they say shipping estimate is the 18th... man I ordered a week ago. will see how that works out.

thanks

Ok day one of digging went well... Just reminds me of how old I am. I have about one or two more hours of digging I think. I found some of my other pipes, and I can't say there all that deep in the ground, not cool, but I do close every year and I add antifreeze... One thing I noticed is I see an electrical wire running along side a pipe.. Not cool I think it must be for the lights in my wall... No idea but I plan to try and find out. I want to run the new pipe under the 3 you see, just not sure if I have room to get it under.

Anyway here is day one:

More to follow as long as I am walking come morning ;)

I am about to start filling the trench, I tested the piped today and didn't see any sign of failure, so now I'm at the level and set stage. I did test the jets and they do reach the pool but only if I close off the returns a little, if I turn them off all the way I can hit my house some 30+ feet away. So I'm glad I can use them, even with a 3/4 hp pump... Key is having the valves to control the flow. Anyway here are a few pics I have on hand... More when I am done.

Can't wait to see this one finished! Looks like a lot of fun for the kiddies!

I am going to try and get it done today, but here are a few test shots after I filled in the hole... I need to work with the dirt some, have mulch and some plants on the way this week. With all 4 on its loud... I may mess with it some... still trying to decide how I want the water to flow.

more when I am done...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.