Pump and Chlorinator Replacement

Jun 3, 2013
Yorktown, IN
I have a 24'/15,000 gallon above ground pool that needs a new pump and chlorinator. The filter is a Hayward SW256(75 GPM) that is still in good working condition. I'm looking for advice on sizing the new equipment and preferred brands. I had a 1.5HP Hayward pump, but everything I've read said a 1HP pump would be more than enough for 15,000 gallons. I'll defer to the experts.

I'm also strongly considering building a rack on the ground and putting in 150-200 sq. ft. of solar panels. My pool and backyard are setup almost perfect for a 24' rack that would face to the south and get full sun from 8AM to 7PM. So please keep that in mind for the pump sizing. If you have recommendations for quality solar panels, please throw them out as well. It just needs to be a DIY solution. I've attached a picture of the pool. The deck is directly south of the pool. The pump and filter are located on the north side of the pool where the rack and solar panels would go. Thanks!

Chris

IMAG0861.jpg

Filters are not really sized by the GPM (that is just a maximum), much more important to know the size and I can not find the diameter online.

You are right a 1HP 2-speed would be fine for your pool ... like the Hayward Power-flo: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S-Power-Flo-Above-Ground-2-Speed/dp/B00212NNU4

Solar on the ground could be run by just about any pump, so that is not a concern. As far as solar panels, there are some inexpensive 20' long panels on Ebay, not sure of longevity though.

What do you mean by chlorinator? If you mean a tube that you put trichlor tablets into, we do not recommend using them as your only source or chlorine and thus would not replace it.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks guys. I've read through most of those articles. This site was a life saver when I bought the house five years ago. I had never taken care of a pool before and was completely clueless.

For some reason I had in my head a two speed pump required 220v, but I see that isn't the case. I'll definitely go with the two speed pump.

Those SWGs are a little....salty. :) How long does a single cell last? I love the idea of very low maintenance. Does the salt water cause issues with the metal pool walls at all?

The salt in a SWG pool is 1/10 the concentration of the ocean. They generally do not affect the metals around a pool ... although some manufacturers will not warrant their pools if a SWG is used for some reason.

Generally the cells last 3-5 years. In the long run the cost of going the SWG vs. bleach route is about the same with the SWG more heavily front loaded.

You will still need to be testing with one of the Recommended Test Kits and adjusting things like the pH fairly often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.