Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA testing

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA testing

Quick question about water temperature for testing CYA:

I have seen in several threads where it has been discussed about the low CYA readings in cold pool water. At what temperature does this effect become negligible?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA testing

you should be good at any reasonable swim temperature, for testing colder pool water let the sample warm up to room temperature before testing.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

It can work at colder water temps, but the reaction is slower so you have to wait longer before actually reading the tube ... easiest to let the water warm up to room temp and do that test last.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The reason I asked, is DW really doesn't want pool testing chemicals in the kitchen, no matter how non toxic they are.

Anyway, it's been too cloudy during the day for a good read, and I'm not sure the work light over my bench would be bright enough (150W halogen work light).

Thanks for the reply!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't use the work light for the test. Wait till a good sunny day.
    I'm sure you already know this.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

So, warm up the water inside and then mix and do the test outside.

All my testing is done in the kitchen and poured into the sink
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't remember where I read this, but someone said time is the enemy for accurate testing. I think they were referring to pool store testing, though.

So I am assuming through what you and others have posted here that this is not necessarily true.

I'm not losing excessive FC through the day, so I think I haven't lost any CYA over the winter, but it would be a good idea to make sure.

8. Back To Top    #8

Time is not the enemy for SOME of the tests ... the CH and CYA are not going to change with time (unless you let water evaporate out). The chlorine and pH results will change relatively quickly and thus those should be done right after the sample is taken.
    Jason, TFP Moderator